Turn on thread page Beta

Entry into Investment Banking field watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

This is my first post on the wider internet forums :-)

So the reason for my post is to ask for tips to improve the outlay of my application for IB Graduate Programmes before the application process starts next academic year.

My current situation: I study Accounting & Finance at the University of Surrey and am on strong 1st Class results. I have studied in Australia on an exchange program in my second year at USYD. Currently on an internship year working with commercials/Finance at IBM but have decided an IB career is something I want after I graduate.

I wasn't successful at applying for summer internships in the IB field; I suspect it is due to my horrendous A level grades. They are Economics (A), Maths (B) and Biology (D).

I trade CFDs on the side and am planning on completing a few Udemy courses in Financial modelling and Python. I am considering applying for summer schools to try and boost my CV to give me a better foot into the industry to at least be given an interview!

Can anyone give me tips to cover up/make up for my weak spot of my A levels? Anything I can do over the next 6 months that will improve my CV?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Princepieman threeportdrift can you help?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by isaaq990)
    Princepieman is closer to IB recruitment standards that I suspect that profile isn't going to be competitive for any classic front office roles in the big names. I would suspect the best approach is to target an allied role and get 3 years successful professional experience in some other industry and try and make the move off the back of a professional CV and industry references.

Pp may be able to suggest some more specific and faster routes though. What I'd be concerned about is pursuing a very narrow window of opportunity in a relentless fashion, which if not successful, leaves you having to start again a year after graduation, with lots of opportunities wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Princepieman is closer to IB recruitment standards that I suspect that profile isn't going to be competitive for any classic front office roles in the big names. I would suspect the best approach is to target an allied role and get 3 years successful professional experience in some other industry and try and make the move off the back of a professional CV and industry references.

Pp may be able to suggest some more specific and faster routes though. What I'd be concerned about is pursuing a very narrow window of opportunity in a relentless fashion, which if not successful, leaves you having to start again a year after graduation, with lots of opportunities wasted.
    Hello,

Apologies I have just seen this - didn't get a notification anyone had replied!

Okay I needed someone to tell me the hard truth. Do you have any suggestions on what sort of roles to pursue? Maybe in the fx trading industry? I am not sure how competitive this is compared to the IB industry.

Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to improve the outlook of my CV? (other than summer internships with the big banks, I wasn't very successful there which is a whole other story). Is summer school worth pursuing?

Kind regards

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Re-activating this thread with updates (with which may help).

I have secured a summer internship within a well known pensions & investments firm.

Princepieman can you help out at all? Suggest anything I can do/what I should do when applications window’s open? Is it better if I just pursue a masters in finance rather than apply?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Probably a Masters in Finance at a target will give you a better shout. Surrey is a non-target entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So the reason for my post is to ask for tips to improve the outlay of my application for IB Graduate Programmes before the application process starts next academic year.

My current situation: I study Accounting & Finance at the University of Surrey and am on strong 1st Class results. I have studied in Australia on an exchange program in my second year at USYD. Currently on an internship year working with commercials/Finance at IBM but have decided an IB career is something I want after I graduate.

I wasn't successful at applying for summer internships in the IB field; I suspect it is due to my horrendous A level grades. They are Economics (A), Maths (B) and Biology (D).

I trade CFDs on the side and am planning on completing a few Udemy courses in Financial modelling and Python. I am considering applying for summer schools to try and boost my CV to give me a better foot into the industry to at least be given an interview!

Can anyone give me tips to cover up/make up for my weak spot of my A levels? Anything I can do over the next 6 months that will improve my CV?
    As said above surrey is a non target. Your best bet would to do a masters at a target (pref LSE/Oxbridge/LBS). You do not even meet the minimum benchmark of AAB/ABB that every bank uses. Better retake one of your A-Level, or do FMaths as you should be fine doing a quant subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I hate to pour cold water on dreams but there's really not a ton you can do... Perhaps a Masters at a good school? Even then it may be tough...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.