Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mine personally, is Oscar Wilde because he was just so witty and a pure idol for the homosexual community, yet his works were still beautifully written and just mesmerising.

Who is your favourite author and why?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WittyAndWilde)
    Mine personally, is Oscar Wilde because he was just so witty and a pure idol for the homosexual community, yet his works were still beautifully written and just mesmerising.

Acutally I can't come to a verdict, as I have not read enough English authors to make differences and comparisons. I vote for Ocar Wilde too, from all the ones I read he has a very high sophisticated writing with a touch of magic in words. Really a shame that he had to suffer a hardship time in his life because of homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Le Carre re his insights into the individual combined ( in the main) with some pretty decent plots. Love, trust, betrayal and doubt, the human condition in words. Does not get the recognition he deserves re his art because of his genre, but imho ,at his best ,a stunningly good writer.

ReputationRep:
    William Dalrymple
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    My favourite author has to be Fyodor Dostoyevsky. His masterful writing, psychological insight, ability to generate sympathy for the characters, and his interesting characters make him the best writer I have ever read. Honestly, if I ever learn Russian, I will go back and reread Crime and Punishment in its original language; he is so skilled that he makes me want to do that. :clap2:

-------

(Original post by DJKL)
    Le Carre re his insights into the individual combined ( in the main) with some pretty decent plots. Love, trust, betrayal and doubt, the human condition in words. Does not get the recognition he deserves re his art because of his genre, but imho ,at his best ,a stunningly good writer.
    Oh, my God, I am so happy to find a fellow Le Carre fan here! :excited:

I know, right? :awesome: His books are just wonderful! :love: He is one of the few authors whom I like enough not to mind reading all his books :yep: I have a long way to go before I reach that stage, though!

(Original post by WittyAndWilde)

Seconded so hard! :adore: Oscar Wilde is just... amazing. He is so good that it is hard to describe him into words :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I could narrow down my recreational reading down to one. I have enduring favourites in F Scott Fitzgerald, John le Carre, Alexandre Dumas (working on doing some of his stuff in his native French).

Workwise I have probably two main ones n Sanskrit; Nagarjuna because he is so precise and unflinching, Dharmakirti because there is always a hint of humour in even his most difficult work. general Western philosophy, probably Spinoza. He wrote really well, and it's a pleasure to work through anything of his. Kierkegaard also falls under that category. I'd love to be able to have a go at those guys in their original languages. maybe one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    My favourite author has to be Fyodor Dostoyevsky. His masterful writing, psychological insight, ability to generate sympathy for the characters, and his interesting characters make him the best writer I have ever read. Honestly, if I ever learn Russian, I will go back and reread Crime and Punishment in its original language; he is so skilled that he makes me want to do that. :clap2:

-------

Seconded so hard! :adore: Oscar Wilde is just... amazing. He is so good that it is hard to describe him into words :daydreaming:
    Seconded likewise! Dostoyevsky is another personal favourite of mine!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.