Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Forensic Psychology after MSc Psychology Conversion watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is a 'pass' at masters enough to get onto another MSc Course?

I have a 2:1 in English Language and am currently doing the MSc Psychology Conversion part-time. I want to get onto the MSc Forensic Psyc course after, will a pass grade be enough? I am aiming a lot higher but I want to know what the options are.

Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Catk90)
    Hi,

I have a 2:1 in English Language and am currently doing the MSc Psychology Conversion part-time. I want to get onto the MSc Forensic Psyc course after, will a pass grade be enough? I am aiming a lot higher but I want to know what the options are.

Thank you.
    Unis will have their entry requirements on their webpages so have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you.
    Hi,

sorry to hijack your post, but can I kindly ask how your are finding the MSc Psy Conversion course. I'm starting mine in September 2018 with Stafford Uni - any advice, tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Bee)
    sorry to hijack your post, but can I kindly ask how your are finding the MSc Psy Conversion course. I'm starting mine in September 2018 with Stafford Uni - any advice, tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jo
    Hi Jo,

I am enjoying most of it so far! It's a challenge as I've never studied psyc before. One word of advice, do all the reading the lecturers give you, and read extra if you can! Feel free to message me again if you want any other advice

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jo,

I am enjoying most of it so far! It's a challenge as I've never studied psyc before. One word of advice, do all the reading the lecturers give you, and read extra if you can! Feel free to message me again if you want any other advice
    Thank you for your reply.

Can you give me a list of your assignments (how many do you have to do) and the world count for the research project? This would help me immensely!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jo,

Hi, any advice on whether St Andrews or Nottingham for MSc Psychology Conversion? Sorry to bump in the thread. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vashisthashubhi)
    Hi, any advice on whether St Andrews or Nottingham for MSc Psychology Conversion? Sorry to bump in the thread. Thanks
    Hi, I wouldn't know sorry, I don't study in either one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Bee)
    Thank you for your reply.

Can you give me a list of your assignments (how many do you have to do) and the world count for the research project? This would help me immensely!
    Hi,

Every university is different so what I study is likely to be done differently at another university. I am also part time so I haven't even thought about dissertations and all that yet!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I studied English lit at undergrad (2.1), am currently on a psychology conversion MSc and in process of waiting to hear back from universities for forensic psychology MSc for next year so hope I can help!

I'm predicted a distinction for my conversion and have additional experience (I'm an unpaid assistant psychologist in a hospital, a prison volunteer and a paid researcher for my department). I would advise that universities will be looking for a combination of experience and good academic background. I don't think just a pass would be enough because you need to show you have the ability to work at masters level, particularly statistics. I think a merit with some experience would show this as most ask for 2.1 in undergrad psychology. It depends where you want to apply, but I imagine for the best ones you'd need minimum merit.

RE. research project, mine is 10,000 words and I think this is pretty typical. For the conversion I think it matters less where you study as they offer almost identical programmes. The only difference being in teaching, contacts and facilities. However, it is what you make of it and a conversion masters requires a lot of independent study. Drop out rates are high, at least half of my cohort dropped out in term 1 and a few switched to part time (I'm full time). It is very intense and you'll have never worked harder in your life. Good luck 😁
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anniepattz)
    Hi all,

I studied English lit at undergrad (2.1), am currently on a psychology conversion MSc and in process of waiting to hear back from universities for forensic psychology MSc for next year so hope I can help!

I'm predicted a distinction for my conversion and have additional experience (I'm an unpaid assistant psychologist in a hospital, a prison volunteer and a paid researcher for my department). I would advise that universities will be looking for a combination of experience and good academic background. I don't think just a pass would be enough because you need to show you have the ability to work at masters level, particularly statistics. I think a merit with some experience would show this as most ask for 2.1 in undergrad psychology. It depends where you want to apply, but I imagine for the best ones you'd need minimum merit.

RE. research project, mine is 10,000 words and I think this is pretty typical. For the conversion I think it matters less where you study as they offer almost identical programmes. The only difference being in teaching, contacts and facilities. However, it is what you make of it and a conversion masters requires a lot of independent study. Drop out rates are high, at least half of my cohort dropped out in term 1 and a few switched to part time (I'm full time). It is very intense and you'll have never worked harder in your life. Good luck 😁
    Hey, this is super useful to hear as I'm planning to start a conversion this September. May I ask what your average workload is like e.g. number of assignments per week/ term? Do you find you can manage your time well, regarding breadth of understanding (set readings, wider reader etc.) vs. time for coursework; as well as a little free time(!)?

Many thanks in advance J

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.