The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why would vet med be more competitive than medicine? Surely they're of the same level of competitiveness?
Reply 21
To be honest the whole thread is stupid...you're all a bunch of people scepticising with little background knowledge and all wanting to try and make your own course the most competitive and coming back with crap arguments as to why someone else's course isn't...The fact of the matter is there are a lot fo very competitive courses...
Economics at LSE is something like a 4% success rate, so i think that is the hardest to get onto :biggrin:
But besides that, I do think Medicine is really really hard, as almost in all circumstances an interview is needed, even for international students!!
Reply 23
montyr
To be honest the whole thread is stupid...you're all a bunch of people scepticising with little background knowledge and all wanting to try and make your own course the most competitive and coming back with crap arguments as to why someone else's course isn't...The fact of the matter is there are a lot fo very competitive courses...

Yeah, because "scepticising" isn't stupid at all :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Shrayans
Economics at LSE is something like a 4% success rate, so i think that is the hardest to get onto :biggrin:
But besides that, I do think Medicine is really really hard, as almost in all circumstances an interview is needed, even for international students!!

But with Vet med, an interview is required for ALL unis, which should make it more difficult than Med/Law/Economics?
Reply 25
Why does an interview necessarily mean it's more difficult to get in?
Reply 26
most of the popular arts courses such as eng lit, history, economics are highly competitive esp at top colleges. alongside with vet med, law, med and dentistry.
karate_kat
But with Vet med, an interview is required for ALL unis, which should make it more difficult than Med/Law/Economics?

Well, I don't know, I would think that if there is an interview but the percentage of acceptance is higher I would have thought that is easier than only using UCAS and accepting 4%. This is because you can really impress at an interview whereas if one only has UCAS to look at they need to have impecable records and great PS and reference.

I don't know, I personally think that an interview should increase not decrease your chances of getting in. Then again, I haven't done an interview so I might find that it is actually harder when you get to it. But that is the acid test isn't it, whether interviews are a harder or easier method of getting into uni.
Reply 28
I don't think it necessarily means its more difficult, but Sharyans post implied that because Med involves interviews at most places it is difficult, so in terms of Sharyans logic, Vet med should be more difficult. Sorry to Sharyans though if I implied this wrongly!
I personally think Vet Med is most difficult because it requires the most work outside A levels to even be considered.
Fair enough, as you have to do loads outside class it can be difficult.

edit: its shRAyans :wink: that's the second person to have done that... lol...
I have heard that statistically Economics is be the hardest to get on to this year and that when the official data is published with how many applications per place we will all be very surprised!
Reply 31
montyr

The thread is stupid?
Reply 32
Shrayans
Fair enough, as you have to do loads outside class it can be difficult.

edit: its shRAyans :wink: that's the second person to have done that... lol...

Oh, sorry Shrayans!! :p:
Angelil
Why would vet med be more competitive than medicine? Surely they're of the same level of competitiveness?

Well I suppose there is a smaller no of unis that offer vet med whilst there are more that offer medicine. Vet med also requires a lot more work experience than medicine; namely because it's easier to obtain (it's easy to get into a vet practice to observe surgery than to get into a hospital and view surgery there for example).
Reply 34
I think for vet med, you also have to know a lot more sciency based stuff about the profession, e.g. vaccines and spay/neuter, than for med
Reply 35
I reckon vet. med. has got to be more competitive than medicine. I'm really in awe of the amount of work experience some of the vets I know have done. I suppose they don't have to deal with the patient confidentiality issues, though, so it's easier for them to get actual work experience than for medics/dentists.
Reply 36
karate_kat

Practically all medicine courses interview now. Those that don't are really in a minority and they actually have perhaps a greater rush of applicants than those that do, because people want to avoid the interview. So perhaps ironically, it's probably harder to get into unis that don't interview for med as so many people are so keen to avoid being interviewed.
I'd say EEM (engineering, economics and management), as its (I think) only given at Oxford, has only the smartest students applying (you have to be talented at maths, physics and econ) and then still has an entry percentage of 18% or so.
Medicine
Reply 39
I agree. Medicine, economics and law are definitely at the top... also applying for english seem to have a popular so I guess thats another too!

Latest

Trending

Trending