Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Both Essex and King's College London have made me an offer. If I choose the University of Essex I will study MA Theory and Practice of Human Rights, not to mention that the particular program is quite cheap. If I choose King's College London, I will study MA International Peace and Security which I also find very interesting. It goes without saying that KCL is very prestigious and one of the best universities in the world and you can easier find a job, so how could I say no? But living in London is so expensive. What sould I do?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dajana22)
    Both Essex and King's College London have made me an offer. If I choose the University of Essex I will study MA Theory and Practice of Human Rights, not to mention that the particular program is quite cheap. If I choose King's College London, I will study MA International Peace and Security which I also find very interesting. It goes without saying that KCL is very prestigious and one of the best universities in the world and you can easier find a job, so how could I say no? But living in London is so expensive. What sould I do?
    Have you visited both unis?

You could live further out and commute in?

Push comes to shove if it was equal and affordable, then Id probably choose JCL, vut do your research and look carefully at the course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You could always commute to London from e.g. locations in Essex, although whether this is cheaper or more feasible/preferable may depend on your circumstances...

I would suggest beginning by asking yourself why you are getting this masters degree.

If you intend to carry on into academia, then go with the programme which has the most preferable supervisor(s) for research projects and most possibility of getting favourable publications (or at least, research experience with a known academic in your specific niche field).. This could well be either university, depending on what you plan to research.

However if you're getting it to just add some "points" to any applications to grad schemes etc, then the name brand will be the main factor - in which case KCL will realistically be the better option in most cases (exceptions perhaps if the businesses you're specifically interested in and are applying to are exclusively local to the Essex area from top to bottom - it's possible they may favour, either consciously or not, someone from the area. This is quite a stretch of the imagination however so...pinch of salt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Have you visited both unis?

You could live further out and commute in?

Push comes to shove if it was equal and affordable, then Id probably choose JCL, vut do your research and look carefully at the course.
    I haven't visited any of the Universities. I am from Greece so I guess the first day that I will visit my uni will be the first day of my classes.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.