Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im 24 y/o, I will be studying computer science this year. I am predicted distinctions throughout on my access course. Ive had 1 offer from teeside. Durham and leeds have rejected me, still awaiting on decisions from newcastle and york. I am expecting to get an offer from newcastle at the least.

Teeside is my local uni and it would allow me to keep my job and be closer to my family, friends and girlfriend. I realise that my other two choices are russel group unis, it is worth commuting a longer journey or moving to attend one of these? Is it really that important?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by luck2luke)
    Im 24 y/o, I will be studying computer science this year. I am predicted distinctions throughout on my access course. Ive had 1 offer from teeside. Durham and leeds have rejected me, still awaiting on decisions from newcastle and york. I am expecting to get an offer from newcastle at the least.

Teeside is my local uni and it would allow me to keep my job and be closer to my family, friends and girlfriend. I realise that my other two choices are russel group unis, it is worth commuting a longer journey or moving to attend one of these? Is it really that important?
    There are reasons why you might choose one uni over another. You have some that suggest Teeside might be the best uni for you. If yo get offers then do go to any open days plus also look at any data hey have on employment after qualifying.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Depends on what careers you'd like to break into. If it's just programming/software engineering w/ a CS degree, then not really.

If going to Teeside means you're able to be closer to your family and spend more time with them, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Consider all the reasons for and against. If going to one of the other universities is going to benefit your career more and you will also get more from the course and learning environment compared to Teeside, it might be worth considering these as your final choice. If going to Teeside will help you learn what you need to and prepare yourself for future career development, this could be a better option as you can be near your loved ones as well as keep your job.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Why are you getting the degree?

If the answer is to keep your current job and be closer to family, friends and girlfriends, then go to Teeside.

If the answer is to improve your career prospects, then think of which university to go to from the perspective of the employer (Newcastle > York >>> Teeside)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Why are you getting the degree?

If the answer is to keep your current job and be closer to family, friends and girlfriends, then go to Teeside.

If the answer is to improve your career prospects, then think of which university to go to from the perspective of the employer (Newcastle > York >>> Teeside)
    Never really thought of it like that, just had my offer from York which is higher in the table than Newcastle for CS. Would you say Newcastle is better in general?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Never really thought of it like that, just had my offer from York which is higher in the table than Newcastle for CS. Would you say Newcastle is better in general?
    In general, yes, in the specific case of CS, then I don't know, but I'd look at things in more specific detail than just league tables. What league tables score on might not be what you want or what employers want.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Best of luck with everything and congratulations on your offer.

Do the best thing for you

You can call us if you have any questions 01642 342639.

ReputationRep:

Hi could you tell me which particular access course you did? Also i looked at leeds entrance requirements and they only need 30 distinctions and 15 merits so i'm a bit confused as to why they'd reject you when you have full distinctions?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.