Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So for the past two years I've been going to my local college studying my City and Guilds Electrical Instalation Level 2 and 3, but due to having issues finding an apprenticeship, and would also enjoy going more in depth, I have been considering trying to go into Electrical Engineering.

However I have been unable to find out whether my level 3, which I've been told is equivalent to two A levels, will be able to get me into a bachelors course. So does anyone have any idea if it will? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that’s the thing i’ve been facing! A level 3 is 2 Alevels, you need three for most Bsc courses. I’m going to do a foundation year, other option is Access to HE. Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Twitchas)
    Hi,

So for the past two years I've been going to my local college studying my City and Guilds Electrical Instalation Level 2 and 3, but due to having issues finding an apprenticeship, and would also enjoy going more in depth, I have been considering trying to go into Electrical Engineering.

However I have been unable to find out whether my level 3, which I've been told is equivalent to two A levels, will be able to get me into a bachelors course. So does anyone have any idea if it will? Thanks.
    Some universities will make an offer based on UCAS tariff points.
    Potentially try:
    https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/e...#fees-and-reqs
    https://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/under...ic-engineering
    ...there will be others too.

Alternatively you might be able to go via foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Nope, that’s the thing i’ve been facing! A level 3 is 2 Alevels, you need three for most Bsc courses. I’m going to do a foundation year, other option is Access to HE. Good luck!
    Thanks for the information, so will they definitely recognise a Level 3 in Electrical Installation do you know?

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Some universities will make an offer based on UCAS tariff points.
    Potentially try:
    https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/e...#fees-and-reqs
    https://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/under...ic-engineering
    ...there will be others too.

Alternatively you might be able to go via foundation year.
    Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how many UCAS points I would get, but when I go about searching I don't see my course listed, so am I just missing something or do you know where I can find out?

Thanks again.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how many UCAS points I would get, but when I go about searching I don't see my course listed, so am I just missing something or do you know where I can find out?

Thanks again.
    What's the exact name of the course Nd your likely grades? DD ?

ReputationRep:
    What's the exact name of the course Nd your likely grades? DD ?
    City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 3 (Buildings & Structures)

And well, we haven't been given predicted grades, and we will be given about 5 or 6 grades I think as that is how many exams we have.
    So far I have had two exams which were pass or fail only, I passed both (Electrical Science and Electrical System Design), however I imagine I will get a merit and possibly a distinction in the exams which allow it.

ReputationRep:
    City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 3 (Buildings & Structures)

And well, we haven't been given predicted grades, and we will be given about 5 or 6 grades I think as that is how many exams we have.
    So far I have had two exams which were pass or fail only, I passed both (Electrical Science and Electrical System Design), however I imagine I will get a merit and possibly a distinction in the exams which allow it.
    32 UCAS points, only option is pass or fail so it won’t change depending on grade.
    Name:  A373123B-63C3-46E5-9684-A182966D0F0A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  18.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    32 UCAS points, only option is pass or fail so it won’t change depending on grade.
    Name:  A373123B-63C3-46E5-9684-A182966D0F0A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  18.5 KB
    Is that per unit/grade or for the full diploma?
    And I don't believe every exam I have is pass or fail, just 2-3 are to my knowledge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

I'm not familiar enough with C&G. Tagging someone who might help
    PQ

ReputationRep:
    Is that per unit/grade or for the full diploma?
    And I don't believe every exam I have is pass or fail, just 2-3 are to my knowledge.
    Full diploma, sorry. I wen’t through the same thing, unfortunately Level 3 doesn’t get much UCAS points. Exams might not be pass/fail but the overall qualification is.

ReputationRep:
    Full diploma, sorry. I wen’t through the same thing, unfortunately Level 3 doesn’t get much UCAS points. Exams might not be pass/fail but the overall qualification is.
    Well this is sh*t, haha.

Thanks for your help anyways.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Well this is sh*t, haha.

Thanks for your help anyways.
    Who told you it was worth 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who told you it was worth 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My college teachers.

And I think I read it online too. :/

So if I was to do a foundation degree would that allow me to get into a university for an Electrical Engineer bachelors degree? Or would that be a struggle?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My college teachers.

And I think I read it online too. :/

So if I was to do a foundation degree would that allow me to get into a university for an Electrical Engineer bachelors degree? Or would that be a struggle?
    Yes a foundation would be fine, but again there are minimum Level 3 requirements, which vary by university. It's really best to start contacting some universities and checking if your current qualification meets their requirements.

Start with something like the CUG Ranking, and then sort by "entry requirements" - then work upwards...

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ic+engineering

Also, ideally look for courses that are accredited by the IET (the industry body that looks after EE).

ReputationRep:
    Yes a foundation would be fine, but again there are minimum Level 3 requirements, which vary by university. It's really best to start contacting some universities and checking if your current qualification meets their requirements.

Start with something like the CUG Ranking, and then sort by "entry requirements" - then work upwards...

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ic+engineering

Also, ideally look for courses that are accredited by the IET (the industry body that looks after EE).
    Okay, a big thank you for your help.
    I have booked to go to this university/career open day thing so will hopefully be able to ask some people working at the universities there about my options, I'll have a quick look now and a better look tomorrow in the morning.

I've been reading some other forum threads and saw that the usual way people without A Levels get into Uni is through the access course then a foundation degree, so I'm guessing (depending on the university) that my level 3 will be sufficient/replace the need to do the access course?

Thanks.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Okay, a big thank you for your help.
    I have booked to go to this university/career open day thing so will hopefully be able to ask some people working at the universities there about my options, I'll have a quick look now and a better look tomorrow in the morning.

I've been reading some other forum threads and saw that the usual way people without A Levels get into Uni is through the access course then a foundation degree, so I'm guessing (depending on the university) that my level 3 will be sufficient/replace the need to do the access course?

Thanks.
    Depending on the uni/course you can go straight to 1st year with an AccessHE. *Some* universities ask for A-level maths in addition to AccessHE for Engineering but by no means all.

If you are aspiring to a higher ranked university then A-level Maths plus an AccessHE would be required, or a foundation year.

Your first task is to check how far you can go with your current qualification (the open day is a great way to do that).

Then you can figure out if Year 1 OR Foundation OR AccessHE is the next step.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Contact the unis you are looking into. They’ll be the best people to give you a straight answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.