Turn on thread page Beta

Really what are the benefits of social media? I can only see the negatives watch

ReputationRep:
    Come on Change my mind ? I think the world would be a better place without it and can't see what good it had made

ReputationRep:
    A world without social media? I would be bored to death.

ReputationRep:
    you can spy on people
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Inflating one's ego.

ReputationRep:
    Keep track of events and keep in touch with people you might not have otherwise. Last year I was on the committee for two societies at my university, without social media organising any event and getting people excited/participating would be near impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry2017!)
    Come on Change my mind ? I think the world would be a better place without it and can't see what good it had made
    Staying in touch and a free way of talking to your friends and family

ReputationRep:
    For me it's great for staying in touch with mates all over the world. Free and easy.
    Makes work discussion easier with academics in other depts, countries, continents.
    Lets everyone see how great my dogs are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    without social media organising any event and getting people excited/participating would be near impossible.
    And yet generations of your predecessors at universities up and down the country managed it - the near impossible. Every year.

Were they superheroes, do you think? Or is the current crop of organisers inferior in some way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    And yet generations of your predecessors at universities up and down the country managed it - the near impossible. Every year.

Were they superheroes, do you think? Or is the current crop of organisers inferior in some way?
    Perhaps even the current crop of organisers are faced with increased competition for attention and a much larger target demographic?

ReputationRep:
    Every innovation has its ups and downs. I'm not really a fan of social media, but it is an incredibly powerful communication tool.

It's like saying 'I can only see the negatives of driving cars' for example. Cars kill over a million people each year, it can cause destruction to natural environments through harmful emissions, yet it has become integral to travelling and getting to places.

Social media is responsible for creating a more globalised, connected world. For the better, or worse.

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of a few forums, I don't use it. I don't care about staying connected to everyone I've met.

ReputationRep:
    -FB messenger usually sends stuff faster than texting or imessage
    -It reminds you about birthdays
    -This can be negative for some but selfies of pretty grills is a plus to me
    -Makes organising events and inviting people a lot easier
    -Easy to stay in touch with people in other countries and such
    -Spy on people to find out about what they doin
    -Some super niche facebook pages have extremely good memes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.