Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year student studying a foundation degree at a local college, I wanted to transfer to Northumbria (the College have not supplied what the promised facilities wise) however they have only offered me a first year place. Does this mean I’m one year short of funding and if so what can I do?
    I don’t want to give up my education but as a single parent I can’t self fund.
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Gerriemc)
    I am a second year student studying a foundation degree at a local college, I wanted to transfer to Northumbria (the College have not supplied what the promised facilities wise) however they have only offered me a first year place. Does this mean I’m one year short of funding and if so what can I do?
    I don’t want to give up my education but as a single parent I can’t self fund.
    Thanks
    Hi Gerriemc,

Firstly in order to determine your eligibility for future funding, can you confirm how may years of previous study that you have and the length of the new course ?

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Im half way through my second year in my foundation degree and the course I wish to switch to is 3 years, I had hoped to be granted entry at 2nd year but unfortunately they feel it’s more beneficial to start in first year again.
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Im half way through my second year in my foundation degree and the course I wish to switch to is 3 years, I had hoped to be granted entry at 2nd year but unfortunately they feel it’s more beneficial to start in first year again.
    Thanks
    Hi Gerriemc,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study (previous study would include full years and partial years of funding).

Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would receive a MT Maintenance Loan only and any supplementary.
    So to clarify, you would only have full funding for years 2 and 3 and in year 1 of new course you would not receive tuition fee support.

Thanks

Louise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Gerriemc,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study (previous study would include full years and partial years of funding).

Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would receive a MT Maintenance Loan only and any supplementary.
    So to clarify, you would only have full funding for years 2 and 3 and in year 1 of new course you would not receive tuition fee support.

Thanks

Louise.

Ok do you know any other funding pots or places that could help? I really do not want to give up but can’t see a way forward
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ok do you know any other funding pots or places that could help? I really do not want to give up but can’t see a way forward
    Hi Gerriemc,

You should speak to the university regarding bursaries or any other support they can advise.

Thanks Rona

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.