Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I know it's really not that deep and not the end of the world at all but all of my friends at uni live in a completely different accommodation to me. Even though they literally live a 10 second walk away i still find it annoying how I always have to leave at a certain time or can't really visit as often. Especially since the security in there accommodation is starting to get really strict. I feel like a burden every time they have to 'collect' me from reception and sign me in to their ridiculously long sign in sheet. I just am jealous that all they have to do is take an elevator ride to visit each other whilst I actually have to leave my accommodation to chill. I know it's not that bad at all, if their security wasn't so up tight it wouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't feel bad but yeah it's just bit annoying. Did anyone else have the same problem and how did they deal/get over it. Lol I know I sound petty.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by purple135)
    Okay I know it's really not that deep and not the end of the world at all but all of my friends at uni live in a completely different accommodation to me. Even though they literally live a 10 second walk away i still find it annoying how I always have to leave at a certain time or can't really visit as often. Especially since the security in there accommodation is starting to get really strict. I feel like a burden every time they have to 'collect' me from reception and sign me in to their ridiculously long sign in sheet. I just am jealous that all they have to do is take an elevator ride to visit each other whilst I actually have to leave my accommodation to chill. I know it's not that bad at all, if their security wasn't so up tight it wouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't feel bad but yeah it's just bit annoying. Did anyone else have the same problem and how did they deal/get over it. Lol I know I sound petty.
    Most people do just deal with it or get over it. You can live together next year. Uni is a bit of a bubble. In the real world unless you live with your friends you will have to travel to see them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple135)
    That does sound quite sh*t to have to sign in etc all the time. A lot of my mates lived in different blocks or different accom down the road but we didn't have security. They'd just throw down their keys or meet me at the door. Also I really doubt they see you as a burden.
    You have it quite easy though if it's only 10 second walk, I was expecting them to be miles away. I don't think there's anything to do to "get over it", just realise that 10 seconds walk really isn't that bad. Are you living with or near them in second year?
    I'm in third year and the majority of my friends live 25 minutes walk from me so you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blawan)
    That does sound quite sh*t to have to sign in etc all the time. A lot of my mates lived in different blocks or different accom down the road but we didn't have security. They'd just throw down their keys or meet me at the door. Also I really doubt they see you as a burden.
    You have it quite easy though if it's only 10 second walk, I was expecting them to be miles away. I don't think there's anything to do to "get over it", just realise that 10 seconds walk really isn't that bad. Are you living with or near them in second year?
    I'm in third year and the majority of my friends live 25 minutes walk from me so you're lucky.
    Yeah their security is ridiculous, you have to leave mobile numbers and everything, and no were not living together because of the usual 'panic and get a house with people you have only known for 2 months' thing in first term we didn't really know each other properly until second term. So they will be further than 10 seconds in second year which will be an actual problem instead of this.

ReputationRep:
    What caused security to be so strict at your uni accommodation? At mine we just let people in whenever.

I can understand your dilemma if you are the only member of the group in this situation, but you need to manage it soon. Most people have friends that live 10-30 minutes walk away and don't mind all that much, because the friends are worth the walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    What caused security to be so strict at your uni accommodation? At mine we just let people in whenever.

I can understand your dilemma if you are the only member of the group in this situation, but you need to manage it soon. Most people have friends that live 10-30 minutes walk away and don't mind all that much, because the friends are worth the walk.
    I just think there was an incident with one of the students bringing back an unwanted guest

And yeah you're right

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.