Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I honestly have no idea what to do. I literally feel like my whole future has been turned upside down. So a minimum requirement for a few of my university choices is an A in a National 5 Language. So basically at the start of the year when I was picking subjects I told the staff member who dealt with this stuff that I needed this and that if Mandarin was available I'd love to do that (I really wanna do Mandarin and business at uni and I have been to China before on an exchange). Skip forward, I've sent my application to UCAS (the unis all have it but no offers yet) and I've found out recently (my Mandarin teacher isn't good at explaining things in English) that we're actually doing a completely different qualification (HSK2) and it's not even apparently the equivalent of a nat5. So my school is looking into ways so I can take the exam (possibly at another school? But maybe none in my district offer a nat5 in mandarin) but they are trying to talk me out of this saying that I don't need it for all my courses. The thing is the courses I really want to spend the next 4 years of my life doing require it. I literally have no idea what to do now. I'd do anything it takes but I'm just so pissed it feels like my future is being taken away before even things such as grades which are down to me are taken into account and it's so unfair. I don't know where to even start
    My gran also died this week which is horrible. I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, experience etc.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Neisen,

Sounds like a stressful time. Sorry for the loss of your Gran.

The important thing here to remember is, they may be trying to talk you out of it, but they aren't doing it out of spite, they are just trying to help.

If you want to do Mandarin and Business at university, then you should do it. Just make it clear to the staff at college, that these are the only courses you want to do.

With your UCAS application, I would contact each university you have applied for. Ask them if the different qualification will be accepted and don't get disheartened if you don't hear the answer you want back. If you really want to do Mandarin and Business, there will be a way. ^Kam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi Neisen,

Sounds like a stressful time. Sorry for the loss of your Gran.

The important thing here to remember is, they may be trying to talk you out of it, but they aren't doing it out of spite, they are just trying to help.

If you want to do Mandarin and Business at university, then you should do it. Just make it clear to the staff at college, that these are the only courses you want to do.

With your UCAS application, I would contact each university you have applied for. Ask them if the different qualification will be accepted and don't get disheartened if you don't hear the answer you want back. If you really want to do Mandarin and Business, there will be a way. ^Kam
    The thing is, the school got me into this mess. I could have easily passed national 5 French or German (I've put in a lot of effort this year) if they had told me sooner that this wasn't a national 5 like they said it was. Somehow I need to get out of this situation which is really do not deserve to be in. I'd do anything to get into these courses, though simply wanting it bad enough won't be enough. Like I have three months left and I just don't know what to do to avoid having to take a year out because of how terrible and incompetent my school is.

ReputationRep:
    I guess if anyone has similar experiences they could share that would be so much help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.