Turn on thread page Beta

Disappointed with a mark and not sure how to fix it. watch

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread previously, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5094776
    about being disappointed with my past total Maths mark(79/82), and we have just got our latest test back(tests have two papers, both out of 40 or 42, we just got one out of 40 back), and I got 39/40, but the reason why was so dumb it was actually just sad.

We where answering a multi-part question on reversing function(f^-1(x)=...)
    and although I did get the answer, I accidentally wrote +1 instead of -1 on the answer, so I lost a mark. My school gave me extra time for English, but that means I get it for everything else, so I finished the first 5 questions before anyone else had started, then did the last 7 and then spent the remaining time checking my answers, and I had quite a while(20-25 mins), and yet I did not spot this mistake... Does anyone know any good methods for getting 100% other than doing past papers, as I already did some past papers in revision for this and still only got 39.

Anyone got anything else that would work, because reading the question obviously doesn't always work, so any other suggestions about how I can fix this/prevent it from happening in future tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    I made a thread previously, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5094776
    about being disappointed with my past total Maths mark(79/82), and we have just got our latest test back(tests have two papers, both out of 40 or 42, we just got one out of 40 back), and I got 39/40, but the reason why was so dumb it was actually just sad.

and although I did get the answer, I accidentally wrote +1 instead of -1 on the answer, so I lost a mark. My school gave me extra time for English, but that means I get it for everything else, so I finished the first 5 questions before anyone else had started, then did the last 7 and then spent the remaining time checking my answers, and I had quite a while(20-25 mins), and yet I did not spot this mistake... Does anyone know any good methods for getting 100% other than doing past papers, as I already did some past papers in revision for this and still only got 39.

Anyone got anything else that would work, because reading the question obviously doesn't always work, so any other suggestions about how I can fix this/prevent it from happening in future tests?
    You could stop being conceited perhaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igorzycho)
    You could stop being conceited perhaps
    How am I being conceited, that makes literally no sense...

If your not going to say something constructive don't say anything...

ReputationRep:
    maybe just print out questions that are only at the back of the paper (grade 8 or 9 specifically) to it by topic if you must

but i wouldn't beat yourself up over this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)

Alright then, study harder, triple-check (if double-checking doesn't do for you) or go to specsavers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)

When you are checking your answers, re-do the questions.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.