Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Suspended from college (access course) watch

ReputationRep:
    Access to Science

Hi. I am a mature student, 23 years old, and I have been suspended from college for allegedly harassing people. I have had arguments with teachers and staff in the past and my attendance is about 80%.
    I have had good grades so far though, they are gonna do a student disciplinary hearing with me and I have told them that I have PTSD and I really struggle and stuff and they were like "you should see a doctor".

I'm so depressed right now and I'm doing my assignments but I'm so worried because I have exams right when I get back and coursework that I am gonna miss. The argument happened in the reception of the college, I said to this other guy "**** off. I'd cut your head off. You're nothing to me, I'd easily **** you up and have your whole family killed". There was about 6 witnesses and they all hate me.

Please tell me what to do, I am so worried that I have wasted money and a whole year.

ReputationRep:
    Reflect on your behaviour and be be surprised they even let you in that long.

Im currently doing an access course, its for MATURE people who have been out of education for a long time and decided to go back to finish their education so they can get in to university, or for serious people who screwed up badly on their past results and want a sort of start over.

The institution you took your course at is not your daddy’s yard. Treat people like you would yourself want to be treated.

If i was you, disgusting behaviour, no sense of respect towards others, i would go and apologise to the receptionist and talk to your tutors. Perhaps refer to some family stress or anything which has caused you to feel unstable or stressed and had resulted in your (hopefully not frequent) outbursts of disturbing behaviour.
    Im sure the access course is only part time, and your attendence is only 80%?

And maybe think about your stupid remarks

Telling a member of staff who might potentially have kids and bills to pay who is getting paid perhaps a measly £8 an hour to answer calls, welcome guests and sign in and out members of staff and on top of their work, do they think they get paid and love to listen to your verbal stupidity?

And then saying you will have their whole family killed? It seems like you want to serve consecutive life sentences and enjoy some unwanted back-door fun in prison.

Grow up, this isn’t your secondary school or momma’s house.

Sorry for the straight forward harsh reality but pull yourself together, be thankful for the opportunities you have and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theaccessguy)
    Reflect on your behaviour and be be surprised they even let you in that long.

Im currently doing an access course, its for MATURE people who have been out of education for a long time and decided to go back to finish their education so they can get in to university, or for serious people who screwed up badly on their past results and want a sort of start over.

The institution you took your course at is not your daddy’s yard. Treat people like you would yourself want to be treated.
    What will they do if I apologise and say i juss wanna get my diploma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tekka)
    Access to Science

Hi. I am a mature student, 23 years old, and I have been suspended from college for allegedly harassing people. I have had arguments with teachers and staff in the past and my attendance is about 80%.
    I have had good grades so far though, they are gonna do a student disciplinary hearing with me and I have told them that I have PTSD and I really struggle and stuff and they were like "you should see a doctor".

I'm so depressed right now and I'm doing my assignments but I'm so worried because I have exams right when I get back and coursework that I am gonna miss. The argument happened in the reception of the college, I said to this other guy "**** off. I'd cut your head off. You're nothing to me, I'd easily **** you up and have your whole family killed". There was about 6 witnesses and they all hate me.

Please tell me what to do, I am so worried that I have wasted money and a whole year.
    you need some one with you from a student union to help you put your case across. nus is national union of students. become a member and contact them, see if someone can help you at your hearing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matureyeahright)
    you need some one with you from a student union to help you put your case across. nus is national union of students. become a member and contact them, see if someone can help you at your hearing.

seriously? its that serious?

ill need to go that far just to prove that im innocent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tekka)
    What will they do if I apologise and say i juss wanna get my diploma

I think thats pretty self-explanatory when you show up. But be sincere in your apology and mention any home or any other stress you have felt lately.

No guarentee they will accept it but if you dont control yourself, your attitude and brush up on your manners, then expect the sort of treatment your college gave you in every place you go

ReputationRep:
    well I'm not sure it's that serious, but you want to fully support your case. also if you don't talk your case through well enough they might not understand what you suffer from and it was a blip. if you get the right ppl involved they can support you with the right help, counciling and study help. they may even extend your hand in times due to extenuating circumstances. Ask it's better than leaving it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tekka)

He said someone from the student union, not Borris Johnson
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tekka)
    Access to Science

Although you claim to be a mature student your behaviour makes you out to be very immature.

Mature students do not argue with staff and other students or rather there are limits. Threatening violence on someone and their family plus poor attendance is not the way you should be carrying on.

You should go and see your GP and suggest you have some issues either PTSD or anger management. Ask your HP to write a supporting letter confirming this diagnosis or what you have agreed to do i.e anger management.

I agree with people who say take someone to the meeting with you, be contrite, genuine and point out what steps you have taken to avoid and it wont happen again.

They may be placated and give you a warning, but there is also a chance they may not be satisfied with your sincerity or efforts you have taken to show it wont be repeated. On the basis of what you have said and witnesses repeating that, then you are at risk of being thrown off your course. The threats of violence are too severe and coupled with poor attendance and arguing then you are at risk.

Go and see the GP. You only have yourself to blame over this. You are 23 not 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tekka)

How can you be innocent when you've admitted in your original post that you did indeed harass people?

Don't deny what you did, admit you made a mistake and that you regret it. Apologise. If your PTSD genuinely affected what you said/did then you need a note from a mental health professional to explain how your diagnosis led you to act out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tekka)

But you’re not innocent are you? You made serious threats.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.