The Student Room Group

MSc Data Science

Hi Chaps and Folks,

People have asked this before of course, apologies for creating a new thread...but I had to.

I wanted to know what top 3 best universities in the UK offering Msc Data Science.
I'm not interested in Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE for budget reasons.

Please keep it brief and give a reason or two as to why.
Please don't answer "that depends on so many things".

My background : BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering + 12 Years experience
And yes, it a career changing move :smile:

Appreciate your guidance.

Regards
Original post by brokenbad
Hi Chaps and Folks,

People have asked this before of course, apologies for creating a new thread...but I had to.

I wanted to know what top 3 best universities in the UK offering Msc Data Science.
I'm not interested in Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE for budget reasons.

Please keep it brief and give a reason or two as to why.
Please don't answer "that depends on so many things".

My background : BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering + 12 Years experience
And yes, it a career changing move :smile:

Appreciate your guidance.

Regards

I will throw 2 at you at you straight away. First, Warwick. My reasons are as follow:

1) I had to do a Machine Learning project for uni, and I read some excellent papers from Warwick
2) Warwick also has a dedicated Data Science Institute and works across a whole range of various disciplines that data science can help with. https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wdsi/

And also Edinburgh:

1) It has a strong research area in High Performance Computing and Data Science
2) It has ARCHER
3) Not all data science courses go in to the importance of HPC for Data Science, but Edinburgh does. Obviously Data Science can require immense computational power and some Data Science courses gloss over this. Edinburgh, aside from being excellent in both areas, takes a more holistic approach.
Reply 2
Original post by jestersnow
I will throw 2 at you at you straight away. First, Warwick. My reasons are as follow:

1) I had to do a Machine Learning project for uni, and I read some excellent papers from Warwick
2) Warwick also has a dedicated Data Science Institute and works across a whole range of various disciplines that data science can help with. https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wdsi/

And also Edinburgh:

1) It has a strong research area in High Performance Computing and Data Science
2) It has ARCHER
3) Not all data science courses go in to the importance of HPC for Data Science, but Edinburgh does. Obviously Data Science can require immense computational power and some Data Science courses gloss over this. Edinburgh, aside from being excellent in both areas, takes a more holistic approach.

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to answer the question.

Can you compare City University's MSc Data Science and rate it out of 10 may be?
Do you think its worth going to US for an MS in Data Science?

Thanks.
Thank you very much indeed for taking time to answer the question.

Can you compare City University's MSc Data Science and rate it out of 10 may be?
Do you think its worth going to US for an MS in Data Science?

Thanks.

It would seem at first glance to have less mathematical content compared to Edinburgh and Warwick. Of course it will still contain a lot of maths though, ( as you know Data Science is basically Computational Statistics, with the emphasis on Statistics). A big plus for City is the Industrial internship, which would be great if you could get it.

As for going to the USA, I am not sure why you would unless it was a top drawer CS/Maths uni? Like MIT or Harvard or Stanford? It's almost always more expensive to study in the USA, as most of their masters degrees are over 2 years. You would be better doing a one year masters then getting 1 years work experience, which you would get if you studied in the UK.

Make no mistake, the research in Data Science being done in the likes of Oxbridge, Edinburgh and Warwick is world class. Apart from the very top universities in the USA, you won't find it any better most US universities.
Reply 4
Hey! I'm also looking at the masters at City - I want to still live at home and study part-time, so universities in London are the ones that I've been focusing on, even though I've heard that Edinburgh is good as well. City university comes up a lot because of its great links to industry, but its topics seem to be more focused on application rather than the hard maths/stats behind the programming.

I was pretty set on City until I heard about Birkbeck - is anyone else considering this uni? The lecturers' research projects there look really interesting, and apparently their research has been rated world class. But I don't know how much impact this really has on a day-to-day basis for students. Any insights from anyone would be super helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by akurth13
Hey! I'm also looking at the masters at City - I want to still live at home and study part-time, so universities in London are the ones that I've been focusing on, even though I've heard that Edinburgh is good as well. City university comes up a lot because of its great links to industry, but its topics seem to be more focused on application rather than the hard maths/stats behind the programming.

I was pretty set on City until I heard about Birkbeck - is anyone else considering this uni? The lecturers' research projects there look really interesting, and apparently their research has been rated world class. But I don't know how much impact this really has on a day-to-day basis for students. Any insights from anyone would be super helpful!

Thats great. So what have you finalized? And Why?
Your reasoning may help improve my thought process as well. Please shed some light.
Thanks.
Thats great. So what have you finalized? And Why?
Your reasoning may help improve my thought process as well. Please shed some light.
Thanks.

Original post by akurth13

What might help you both is determining what your want your final outcome to be after graduation from the masters. Move in to a PhD? Get a job, and if so, as what? A Data Engineer? Data Scientist? Data Analyst? In what field? Financial, scientific, medical or marketing??
Reply 7
Great stuff.
Thanks guys.
Reply 8
Hi All,

I have arrived at a decision today.
It will be City University of London for my MSc Data Science (don't I just love to type that in full.. :smile: )

Thanks for your input and participating in this discussion.

Best Wishes
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi All,

I have arrived at a decision today.
It will be City University of London for my MSc Data Science (don't I just love to type that in full.. :smile: )

Thanks for your input and participating in this discussion.

Best Wishes

Hi, how is your life in city university of london going so far? I'm also interested in taking msc data science in this university but im afraid of its low ranking. I'm an international student hoping to get a job in london after i graduate. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply 10
Hi all,
I am also curious about the Data Science master program at City university. One thing that is important for me is the placement or training option. Does anyone have any information about these options? Are they paid?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by AdenHazard
Hi, how is your life in city university of london going so far? I'm also interested in taking msc data science in this university but im afraid of its low ranking. I'm an international student hoping to get a job in london after i graduate. Any advice? Thanks!

Did you apply to City?
Hi did you go to City University? How was it? What are you doing now?

Quick Reply

Latest