Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im so torn up and stressed about this issue rn and i could really use a few external opinions and advice. Im in Yr 12 and studying Politics, Textiles and Biology for A-Level but have no clue what to do with my life, what i want to do career wise or what to study at uni. I've already done a tonne of research on uni courses but i cant find anything i think i'd enjoy and im not in a position where i can afford to try a course for a year then restart something else. The thing is im one of those high achieving people who got quite good grades at GCSE but all i focused on was school. I have a real passion for both politics and Textiles that i really cant chose between them, and ended up doing Biology on a fluke of my schools system where it was the only other subject available that i didnt hate (i'd try to get 4 other subjects before bio) and i hate it now, i dread going to lessons and find it really hard but im cant drop it. So im in the situation now where I just have no clue what to do and its really stressing me out.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the option to see a careers advisor during school or outside of school? They can help you define what career interests you have and give you more information on how to get there. I would also recommend trying work experience in some of the fields that do interest you, as it will give you greater insight if this is the career for you.

Don't feel rushed to go to uni if you are unsure yet. Plenty of students take gap years in which they use the time to develop their own interest and skills (travelling, work experience, employment, volunteering), which will help them for their future career planning.

In terms of your current A-level choices, have you spoken to your Biology teacher about your difficulties with the course. Perhaps they can help you or point you towards the right resources to make the content clearer. If you really can't stand it and wanted to drop it, you could take extra time to restart an A-level subject, which I would ask your school for more advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykershaw2000)
    Im so torn up and stressed about this issue rn and i could really use a few external opinions and advice. Im in Yr 12 and studying Politics, Textiles and Biology for A-Level but have no clue what to do with my life, what i want to do career wise or what to study at uni. I've already done a tonne of research on uni courses but i cant find anything i think i'd enjoy and im not in a position where i can afford to try a course for a year then restart something else. The thing is im one of those high achieving people who got quite good grades at GCSE but all i focused on was school. I have a real passion for both politics and Textiles that i really cant chose between them, and ended up doing Biology on a fluke of my schools system where it was the only other subject available that i didnt hate (i'd try to get 4 other subjects before bio) and i hate it now, i dread going to lessons and find it really hard but im cant drop it. So im in the situation now where I just have no clue what to do and its really stressing me out.
    the other nig*a pretty much sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Do you have the option to see a careers advisor during school or outside of school? They can help you define what career interests you have and give you more information on how to get there. I would also recommend trying work experience in some of the fields that do interest you, as it will give you greater insight if this is the career for you.

Don't feel rushed to go to uni if you are unsure yet. Plenty of students take gap years in which they use the time to develop their own interest and skills (travelling, work experience, employment, volunteering), which will help them for their future career planning.

In terms of your current A-level choices, have you spoken to your Biology teacher about your difficulties with the course. Perhaps they can help you or point you towards the right resources to make the content clearer. If you really can't stand it and wanted to drop it, you could take extra time to restart an A-level subject, which I would ask your school for more advice.
    Thanks for your response.

We do have a career advisor at school however when i have spoken to her in the past shes tried to push me into a higher earning career i have no interest in such a medicine or law due to my high GCSE grades and im worried something similar will happen again.

The uni issue is stressing me out because our school pretty much makes everyone apply to uni and will only allow people to take a gap year in extreme circumstances (it's quite high on the tables and has really high expectations) .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response.

We do have a career advisor at school however when i have spoken to her in the past shes tried to push me into a higher earning career i have no interest in such a medicine or law due to my high GCSE grades and im worried something similar will happen again.

The uni issue is stressing me out because our school pretty much makes everyone apply to uni and will only allow people to take a gap year in extreme circumstances (it's quite high on the tables and has really high expectations) .
    Have you tried talking to a different careers adviser? There are some who do listen to you and will provide useful information. I think the worst thing that could happen is for you to get pushed into going into uni without having a clear picture of what you want to do with your life. After all, it is your future, your time, your effort and money. You need to stand your ground, or show that you do have plans for a gap year, if you choose to take one. You could also look at other routes, such as college leaver schemes, if you feel like uni isn't for you.

Have you talked to your parents about what you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Have you tried talking to a different careers adviser? There are some who do listen to you and will provide useful information. I think the worst thing that could happen is for you to get pushed into going into uni without having a clear picture of what you want to do with your life. After all, it is your future, your time, your effort and money. You need to stand your ground, or show that you do have plans for a gap year, if you choose to take one. You could also look at other routes, such as college leaver schemes, if you feel like uni isn't for you.

Have you talked to your parents about what you want to do?
    I haven't heard of any other advisors in my area but it's something I will look into and I'll definitely look into college leaver schemes too. I have briefly managed to discuss it with my parents but because of their work hours I haven't had the chance to have a deep conversation about it. However the only advice they have really given me is to do whatever I want to do and they'll support me whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about contacting your local job centre? They may be able to advise you about which careers would suit you best.

There is also a great website called https://www.prospects.ac.uk, where you can answer questions about your interests and your strengths and weaknesses etc, which may help you to narrow down a career path. They also tell you what qualifications are needed for different roles.

ReputationRep:
    I’m not very au fait with education these days but I don’t understand how your school can force you to apply for uni. That seems very unfair. I wouldn’t suggest you apply to uni unless you are sure you want to do a particular subject and definitely not just because your school wants you to. Have you ever thought about what sectors you’d enjoy working in and trying to get work experience? You said you like textiles, maybe something to do with design?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rac1977)
    Have you thought about contacting your local job centre? They may be able to advise you about which careers would suit you best.

There is also a great website called https://www.prospects.ac.uk, where you can answer questions about your interests and your strengths and weaknesses etc, which may help you to narrow down a career path. They also tell you what qualifications are needed for different roles.
    I haven't thought about contacting them but I will look into it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of any other advisors in my area but it's something I will look into and I'll definitely look into college leaver schemes too. I have briefly managed to discuss it with my parents but because of their work hours I haven't had the chance to have a deep conversation about it. However the only advice they have really given me is to do whatever I want to do and they'll support me whatever.
    That's good that your parents support you in whatever you decide to do!

Definitely look into the advice given in this thread. One thing to consider is that you don't need to be rushed into doing anything you aren't 100% of. Take the time to research and discover your own interests. Another point is that many people will change careers throughout their lifetime, so don't be too worried if the first thing you go into isn't for you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you're feeling torn up but you're doing the right thing by asking for some advice. I would certainly second the advice which has already been provided, speaking with a careers adviser is a great idea!

If you feel the adviser at school is concentrating too much on routes you're unsure about, you're more than welcome to speak with the National Careers Service - we can provide expert and impartial advice and information and can hopefully provide some options you haven't considered yet?

We're available from 8am to 10pm everyday, it's completely free to get in touch and could be useful as a starting point to help you feel a little bit more confident about your next steps!

Hope to speak to you soon!

Tom - National Careers Service Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'd recommend looking at it in this way. Forgot all the different subjects, colleges and uni's for a moment. If someone asked you what you are absolutely passionate about, what would be your answer. What is the one thing you could do all day every day if you could? I'm sure you'll be able to answer that. When you figure that out, look to create a career around that, not what everyone else is offering you. I'd recommend looking at the book 'Crush it!' by Gary Vaynerchuk, it'll help in this regard. Again, forgot all of the BS around you, come home in this regard. What do you actually want to do right now if you didn't have all of this stress going on. Don't rule out anything either, there are many people making careers out of the most random and strange things. Look at them too. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.