Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently got through my materials for the SKE in French I am doing with Vidlearn.

Just thought it would be good to meet other people doing the same, share thoughts and ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeS1990)
    Hi,

I recently got through my materials for the SKE in French I am doing with Vidlearn.

Just thought it would be good to meet other people doing the same, share thoughts and ideas.
    Hey I’m not doing languages but I am using VidLearn for my biology course and I am finding it really useful! Have you started yet how are you finding it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jh91)
    Hey I’m not doing languages but I am using VidLearn for my biology course and I am finding it really useful! Have you started yet how are you finding it?
    I haven't started yet, I am waiting for an extra book which I bought separately to be delivered, then I'll begin.

So far it looks to be really good.

Have you got your bursary through yet? I haven't received anything yet from University of Sussex, not sure how long to wait. I received the course materials on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started yet, I am waiting for an extra book which I bought separately to be delivered, then I'll begin.

So far it looks to be really good.

Have you got your bursary through yet? I haven't received anything yet from University of Sussex, not sure how long to wait. I received the course materials on Monday.
    Hiya,

Have you signed up as a student with the university of sussex and filled in all of the information on the student registration? You have to put your bank details in and everything on there. Maybe email your tutor and ask how you get set up and check your junk email as thats where mine went. I signed up in November and received first bursary payment in December

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi Zoe! I am thinking of doing my SKE course with Vidlearn. May I ask if the enrolment process was quick and what's the difference between all those providers who offer a SKE course through Vidlearn? I guess only the tutor would be different depending on the course, do you know if there's any other difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciucciu)
    Hi Zoe! I am thinking of doing my SKE course with Vidlearn. May I ask if the enrolment process was quick and what's the difference between all those providers who offer a SKE course through Vidlearn? I guess only the tutor would be different depending on the course, do you know if there's any other difference?
    Enrollment was very quick and easy. As far as I can tell, yes, it is only the tutor which is different.

I am currently waiting on University of Sussex to email me for student registration to complete my details for the bursary etc.

I have received my books and so far it looks good. I am waiting on a separate book I have bought for myself before I begin, as I think it will help me personally.

The good thing is you have until August to complete the 200 hours needed for the 8 week duration of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ZoeS1990,

have you started your course yet? I started it a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. I'm doing French - 16 weeks. I've almost finished UNIT 1, only thing is I could not find the audio files for the listening exercises in the core text. I sent an email to my tutor who regarded the problem as a technical issue and told me to contact vidlearn. I also noticed that the assessment at the start and end of the unit has got some spelling mistakes - did you find that too?

Overall though, the course is well-designed. I'm thinking about getting a handbook for teachers of French as a Foreign Language (FLE) - have you found anything interesting?

Thank you

Fran
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Just out of curiosity, when was everyone able to complete their student registration? I received my textbooks etc yesterday, but I haven't yet had an email about enrollment or filling in my bank details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Just out of curiosity, when was everyone able to complete their student registration? I received my textbooks etc yesterday, but I haven't yet had an email about enrollment or filling in my bank details.
    I cant exactly remember but I think it was a week or so later? Check your junk mail though cos that’s where mine went!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jh91)
    I cant exactly remember but I think it was a week or so later? Check your junk mail though cos that’s where mine went!
    I will definitely keep checking my junk- outlook likes to send all sorts of important emails there. If I haven't had anything by the end of next week, I'll get in touch with the uni.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    I will definitely keep checking my junk- outlook likes to send all sorts of important emails there. If I haven't had anything by the end of next week, I'll get in touch with the uni.

Thanks!
    When I didn’t receive it I emailed my tutor who put me in contact with the right person so probably try that!

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jh91)
    When I didn’t receive it I emailed my tutor who put me in contact with the right person so probably try that!

Good luck!
    Thank you! I will email my tutor at the end of next week if I haven't heard anything!

Good to know yours was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm also doing the French Vidlearn, but my course is 28 weeks.
    I've been looking at other threads who appear to be thinking along the same lines that I am - the SKE does not enhance your subject knowledge as such, but starts to teach you how to teach. My problem is, I was really hoping that it would help me improve my French, but i'm actually really struggling with the workload- 25 hours a week is proving difficult, as I'm still at university and have other assignments to do. I'm trying to stay on top of my own language learning to supplement the course, but I do not feel at present, that by the end of the course I will be comfortable teaching A level.

I'm also anxious about the assignments - 10-12 slides per topic is not very many, but I've realised that I really ought to be doing these slides as I go along.

Does anyone else feel a little like this? Am I expecting too much of both myself and the course?
    Any hints/tips/pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Ellen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittlemissEllen)
    Hi all,

I'm also doing the French Vidlearn, but my course is 28 weeks.
    I've been looking at other threads who appear to be thinking along the same lines that I am - the SKE does not enhance your subject knowledge as such, but starts to teach you how to teach. My problem is, I was really hoping that it would help me improve my French, but i'm actually really struggling with the workload- 25 hours a week is proving difficult, as I'm still at university and have other assignments to do. I'm trying to stay on top of my own language learning to supplement the course, but I do not feel at present, that by the end of the course I will be comfortable teaching A level.

I'm also anxious about the assignments - 10-12 slides per topic is not very many, but I've realised that I really ought to be doing these slides as I go along.

Does anyone else feel a little like this? Am I expecting too much of both myself and the course?
    Any hints/tips/pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Ellen
    Hi,

I am doing VIDLEARN Biology so don’t have direct experience with your course but have found mine to primarily enhance subject knowledge over teaching knowledge so perhaps it is a difference between courses.

I understand what you mean about the 25 hours, I work full time so find it tough to fit in but just do as many hours as I can and tend I give myself Friday evenings and Saturdays off so I have some time to relax.

In terms of the GCSE module I highly recommend doing the slides for each recording as you go along, I realised this about 3 videos in and thank god otherwise I wouldn’t have managed to do all 100+ slides at the end. I also found doing it this way helps to consolidate knowledge as you go through topics.

My general approach to each recording is to watch it through making notes, complete relevant exercises and chapters in the textbook, use online videos etc to extend knowledge, start to complete the slides for the assignment and look up classroom resources and how it would be taught etc.

Using past exam papers (not sure if it would work with languages) i found a good way to check my level of understanding at each point as well.

Good luck I know it’s quite stressful but we will get there!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, are you still currently using VIDLEARN? How are the assessments set up? Are they examination based, coursework based etc? I'm looking at starting an SKE in a month, but I'm unsure regarding the workload and having a part time job too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jh91)
    Hi,

I am doing VIDLEARN Biology so don’t have direct experience with your course but have found mine to primarily enhance subject knowledge over teaching knowledge so perhaps it is a difference between courses.

I understand what you mean about the 25 hours, I work full time so find it tough to fit in but just do as many hours as I can and tend I give myself Friday evenings and Saturdays off so I have some time to relax.

In terms of the GCSE module I highly recommend doing the slides for each recording as you go along, I realised this about 3 videos in and thank god otherwise I wouldn’t have managed to do all 100+ slides at the end. I also found doing it this way helps to consolidate knowledge as you go through topics.

My general approach to each recording is to watch it through making notes, complete relevant exercises and chapters in the textbook, use online videos etc to extend knowledge, start to complete the slides for the assignment and look up classroom resources and how it would be taught etc.

Using past exam papers (not sure if it would work with languages) i found a good way to check my level of understanding at each point as well.

Good luck I know it’s quite stressful but we will get there!

Hi
    I am doing the 8 week chemistry course and am finding it hard to put in the hours to really get to grips with what I want to do.

I only just realised that I need slides for the videos! Are they meant to be aimed at students or just a general summary of what we found important? I'm not even sure how I'm meant to set them up, can they be interactive or just factual? Are there any example that you know of on the forum at all?

Sorry to just ask questions but I'm finding it hard to know what to do. I would ask my tutor but I'd rather he didn't think I was totally without brains!!!

Thanks Marwa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahd)
    Hi
    I am doing the 8 week chemistry course and am finding it hard to put in the hours to really get to grips with what I want to do.

I only just realised that I need slides for the videos! Are they meant to be aimed at students or just a general summary of what we found important? I'm not even sure how I'm meant to set them up, can they be interactive or just factual? Are there any example that you know of on the forum at all?

Sorry to just ask questions but I'm finding it hard to know what to do. I would ask my tutor but I'd rather he didn't think I was totally without brains!!!

Thanks Marwa
    Hiya,

The slides are a summary for what you have learnt. If you’re doing GCSE module then it’s something like 100 slides in total (I think) and if you’re doing A Level it’s 20-40 slides per module. Check the course information handbook for the proper info, it’s all in there about the assignments. I have done the slides for each topic as a summary but with a view that they could maybe be used in the classroom, lots of diagrams for difficult topics and some times I have included small activities like practice exam questions and mix and match or fill in the gap exercises, just to show that I am thinking about how to convey the info to pupils.
    If it’s GCSE you are doing, I would recommend doing the slides as you go after each set of recordings rather than leaving it all to the end. As 100 slides is a bit mad to try and do all at once!
    You also have to do a module reflection at the end of each module - look it up in the course handbook!

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jh91)
    OMG Snap...Im also doing biology a-level on Vidlearn and yep its a really good but, I'm just stressed with all the presentations. I even quit my job yesterday just so I could totally focus on SKE. Its jus doing a 16 weeks course in such a short period of time its like eeeurrrrgggghhhh lol, But its so nice to meet other people in the same boat!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.