Turn on thread page Beta

Studying Philosophy but not enjoying it. Advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I'm in my first year studying Philosophy and although I enjoyed this subject at school I don't enjoy this course, I'm not passionate about the subject and I miss the more creative side of things.
    Really losing faith in the university system. My parents kinda want me to keep going for the 3 years to get the degree but I'm not enjoying it ??
    Can't yet find a subject I know I'll like, considering taking time off to get a job and do the hobbies I love, any tips?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Having been in your situation and not left until much (MUCH) later in the course, I would strongly recommend taking a break from your studies sooner rather than later. Even if you are "out" of the system for two or three years, you'll still be largely of the same age and temperament as your slightly younger peers if you go back.

The major benefit however is that as you've only studied for one year, you will still be able to be funded for the full duration of your course when you go back (provided you don't need to resit a year after going back). You are entitled to funding for a duration equal to the length of your current (as of the time of applying - so future, in this hypothetical scenario) course plus one year. While you will have used up your "gift" year, you will still have full funding. Be aware, if you remain for a second year, then withdraw and later go back to university, you will be liable for at least one year of tuition fee funding (you will still be entitled to a maintenance loan) and this will be the first year back in the new course - not the last.

Taking a break from your studies to figure out what you actually want to do, and spend some time working and developing yourself personally, maturing and so on, is very useful. I wish I had done it, I can say that much! It's quite likely you'll find working in some job can help you achieve greater clarity of purpose in what you want to do, long term. It will also help you develop personally as above, and you'll be able to earn (and potentially, save) some money before going back - always a useful thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not happy now, it will be very hard to finish your study. And most probably you will never work in this job because you do not like it. Change it and do not waste your time and money. Talk to your parents and explain it. Ask for understanding and support. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation in my first year at uni, I loved my subject at A-level and now I have no passion for it. I’ve stuck at it and I’m more than half way through my second year and it hasn’t got any better I’ve just learnt to get on with it as now I’m in too much debt to quit. The advice id give is do what makes you happy otherwise you’ll be stuck doing something that doesn’t make you happy like I am. Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Take the bull by the horns and duck out as soon as you can.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.