Turn on thread page Beta

In UCAS, what happens with the courses that aren't my firm+insurance choices? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do I lose those 3 other possible seats? If not, what happens with them?

PLEASE HELP
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Brahiti)
    Do I lose those 3 other possible seats? If not, what happens with them?

PLEASE HELP
    Yes, once you confirm your firm and insurance decisions any other offers disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yes, once you confirm your firm and insurance decisions any other offers disappear.
    So, ultimately, the UCAS only lets you fully apply to 2 universities?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No, you fully apply to (up to) five, receive some offers, pick two, get your results and go to one.

There are some other routes (eg. Extra, Adjustment and Clearing) but that's the usual process.

ReputationRep:
    No, you fully apply to (up to) five, receive some offers, pick two, get your results and go to one.

There are some other routes (eg. Extra, Adjustment and Clearing) but that's the usual process.
    But at the end of the day, you can only really have a chance of getting admission at 2 unis? To me, that is what a full application means

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. So make sure your insurance is low or moderate requirement wise or you'll end up in clearing. It's better this way so Unis know they can then accept others who want to specifically do their course at their uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gussssss)
    Yeah. So make sure your insurance is low or moderate requirement wise or you'll end up in clearing. It's better this way so Unis know they can then accept others who want to specifically do their course at their uni.
    Can I do clearing, when I already meet my insurance choice's requirements?

ReputationRep:
    I assume they gave you an unconditional? I recently accepted an unconditional and now I have no clearing option. I'm certain the same goes for your insurance if you fail your firm. You've got the place, no clearing no nothing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    But at the end of the day, you can only really have a chance of getting admission at 2 unis? To me, that is what a full application means
    No. And at the end of the day you can only be admitted at one university...

Yes you would have to ask your insurance to release you, which can take some time... It's best not to insure a university unless you actually want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just stick with your insurance, much safer. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I assume they gave you an unconditional? I recently accepted an unconditional and now I have no clearing option. I'm certain the same goes for your insurance if you fail your firm. You've got the place, no clearing no nothing.
    Ooo so basically the system is set up to put you in a pickle haha. I do have an unconditional but I know that course doesn't have as good a reputation as my other ones
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ooo so basically the system is set up to put you in a pickle haha. I do have an unconditional but I know that course doesn't have as good a reputation as my other ones
    There's no pickle. Or chutney for that matter...

However, if you firm an unconditional you won't have an insurance either.

ReputationRep:
    There's no pickle. Or chutney for that matter...

However, if you firm an unconditional you won't have an insurance either.
    Oh, I'm considering making my unconditional my insurance. I'll guarantee it that way, right (as long as I don't get into my firm choice)?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I felt like at first, it's daunting isn't it? It's not logical though haha. Do not worry about reputation. I picked the one of the worst rep bronze unis on my list because I care more about the experience and learning than anything else.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh, I'm considering making my unconditional my insurance. I'll guarantee it that way, right (as long as I don't get into my firm choice)?
    Yes you can do that*. But do you actually want to go there? If so, great.

*Assuming it's a standard unconditional offer, not an "unconditional if firmed" offer.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! That's what I told you lmao, your place is certified hence no clearing. So we actually got lucky in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can do that*. But do you actually want to go there? If so, great.

*Assuming it's a standard unconditional offer, not an "unconditional if firmed" offer.
    Wow I've never heard of those. That's savage. Good idea though, unconditionals require investment from the uni.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wow I've never heard of those. That's savage. Good idea though, unconditionals require investment from the uni.
    Nope, it's a marketing strategy to secure (aka bribe) candidates so they don't go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's a marketing strategy to secure (aka bribe) candidates so they don't go elsewhere.
    Savagee. If I got one of those it'd multiply my stress by 1000 ;/ Ucas is stress as me and op display lolol. I went through all your questions and worries OP :L

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.