Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I want to be a forensic psychologist but my parents being the strict and traditional people they are, are pressed because I dont want to be a doctor or a nurse etc. They always say stuff like 'why dont you just be a binman or work in Maccies if you want a lazy life'as if being anything but a doctor means you have a stress-free job. I understand and appreciate that being a doctor/surgeon etc. must be stressful as hell but its not the ONLY stressful job out there. And if I don't want a stressful job, then that should be fine too.

I'm just so fed up of being treated like the 'black sheep' of the family because I don't want a career in medicine and I actually want to do something that I'm interested in and I understand that they may not like the idea of me going into this field but at least try and be supportive? I know for a FACT that if I did become a doctor, I would be far from happy with my job and I wouldnt enjoy it one bit.

What do I do?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AS02x)
    So I want to be a forensic psychologist but my parents being the strict and traditional people they are, are pressed because I dont want to be a doctor or a nurse etc. They always say stuff like 'why dont you just be a binman or work in Maccies if you want a lazy life'as if being anything but a doctor means you have a stress-free job. I understand and appreciate that being a doctor/surgeon etc. must be stressful as hell but its not the ONLY stressful job out there. And if I don't want a stressful job, then that should be fine too.

I'm just so fed up of being treated like the 'black sheep' of the family because I don't want a career in medicine and I actually want to do something that I'm interested in and I understand that they may not like the idea of me going into this field but at least try and be supportive? I know for a FACT that if I did become a doctor, I would be far from happy with my job and I wouldnt enjoy it one bit.

What do I do?
    Obviously do what you want.

Just focus on your exams and get your grades. they may or may not be good enough for Medicine anyway. Your parents should be supportive, but some are rubbish.

The important things are your grades at the moment. Bicker about the rest later as they arent helping.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.