The Student Room Group

Do I pay council tax for a flat?

Quick background - I started at the university of Portsmouth back in September, but dropped out in mid November. I am now doing an online course to be a personal trainer.

In August I will be moving to Glasgow to live with one of my friends in a two bed flat, and I know as a student at a university you do not have to pay council tax, however I think I will have to as my course is considered part time.

Anyway my question is, is there any way around paying it? I still have my student ID, and the funding and information letter for the uni saying that I was on the course, so could I not just use those and say I am still a student at university? Is there any way for them to check this? Could I ask the uni to keep all of my information confidential?
Reply 1
You have to apply for council tax exemption and they check the student number you use against details held by the university to confirm you are entitled to the exemption. If your friend is a student you'd get the discount, but unless your course is over a year and more than 21 hours a week you will need to pay.
That wouldn't work, given the distance from Portsmouth to Glasgow. And you'd have to provide something more up to date than from last year.
Original post by amihalo
You have to apply for council tax exemption and they check the student number you use against details held by the university to confirm you are entitled to the exemption. If your friend is a student you'd get the discount, but unless your course is over a year and more than 21 hours a week you will need to pay.

Okay so using my old Uni ID would not work if they check, and my current course is part-time, but it could last over a year and be over 21 hours a week depending on how fast I choose to work...
Original post by michael420
Okay so using my old Uni ID would not work if they check, and my current course is part-time, but it could last over a year and be over 21 hours a week depending on how fast I choose to work...

But you're still a part time student. It doesn't matter how many hours personal study you do.

This explains it better.
Original post by Tiger Rag
But you're still a part time student. It doesn't matter how many hours personal study you do.

This explains it better.

Yeah makes sense, thanks for the help.
how about if he is the one who pays the full rent and bills etc to the landlord, and I pay him my share, so my name is not on any contract or whatever linked to the flat will I have to pay council tax?
Original post by michael420
how about if he is the one who pays the full rent and bills etc to the landlord, and I pay him my share, so my name is not on any contract or whatever linked to the flat will I have to pay council tax?

There's probably something in his contract about him not being allowed to sub let.
Original post by Tiger Rag
There's probably something in his contract about him not being allowed to sub let.

And if there were to be no transaction of money between us and I were just his guest?
Stop trying to cheat the system. You're not a student, you have to pay the money.

You can't live with someone permanently as a 'guest'. He's still be illegally subletting. You'd still be living there and liable for council tax. If you've purposely evaded the council tax you could get in real trouble. Do you really want to be unable to sign up for anything requiring an address for fear that someone notices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending