Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my dream school for years was Cambridge and I've wanted to go there and study law for a while now. However, recently due to mental health issues and a recovering ED, my grades have dropped quite a bit.

I was a straight A/A* gcse student before but now, although I still have all A*'s in English lit and language and History which are the subjects I want to take for A levels, I'm currently getting low B's in Maths and Sciences (but I'm trying to push those to hopefully a low A) and I'm getting consistent C's in French and due to all the time off school I missed in recovery my Art grade will be a C at best. Also I'm an strong A student in business studies if that helps.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's possible to get into Cambridge or any other top universities with these potential gcse grades or whether this is just a pipe dream? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muzy19)
    Hello, my dream school for years was Cambridge and I've wanted to go there and study law for a while now. However, recently due to mental health issues and a recovering ED, my grades have dropped quite a bit.

I was a straight A/A* gcse student before but now, although I still have all A*'s in English lit and language and History which are the subjects I want to take for A levels, I'm currently getting low B's in Maths and Sciences (but I'm trying to push those to hopefully a low A) and I'm getting consistent C's in French and due to all the time off school I missed in recovery my Art grade will be a C at best. Also I'm an strong A student in business studies if that helps.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's possible to get into Cambridge or any other top universities with these potential gcse grades or whether this is just a pipe dream? Thanks x
    Definitely will be hard, you need at least a minimum of 7 A*'s for a good chance to get in.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Akhi0208)
    Definitely will be hard, you need at least a minimum of 7 A*'s for a good chance to get in.
    No you don't. There's no minimum GCSE requirement.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/applying/entrance-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Do as well as you can in your GCSEs, but it will be your A-level years that are much more important. If you can be realistically on target for A*AA at A-level then for sure you can be competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cambridge is prestigious, look at the application statistics. If you want a good chance of getting in, then you will need a minimum of 7 and even then it's still tough.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cambridge is prestigious, look at the application statistics. If you want a good chance of getting in, then you will need a minimum of 7 and even then it's still tough.
    There's plenty of people at Cambridge with "poor" GCSEs (edit to correct!).

Especially if there are extenuating circumstances, or if the applicant has shown a strong academic trajectory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I’m sorry but in the long run Cambridge will look at GCSE results, it’s the only time really in your life when professionals will be looking at your GCSEs. Although there may not be a minimum your competing w people that may have 12A*s etc. However Cambridge is bein not elenient now they are preferring state schools over private schools even if your grades are less, it’s not particularly fair as both I’m sure would have worked equally as hard and that’s what matters not your background rich or poor . Sorry went on a tangent haah
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of people at Cambridge with "poor" GCSEs (edit to correct!).

Especially if there are extenuating circumstances, or if the applicant has shown a strong academic trajectory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just looking at the facts and figures to say there's quite a low chance to be even given an interview with 3A* and if they were to get more A*'s there'd be a better chance. Also it's graded from 1-9 now and I reckon that Cambridge will be looking for 9 students (higher than an A*).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by standardproduct)
    I’m sorry but in the long run Cambridge will look at GCSE results, it’s the only time really in your life when professionals will be looking at your GCSEs. Although there may not be a minimum your competing w people that may have 12A*s etc. However Cambridge is bein not elenient now they are preferring state schools over private schools even if your grades are less, it’s not particularly fair as both I’m sure would have worked equally as hard and that’s what matters not your background rich or poor . Sorry went on a tangent haah
    GCSEs are no more important now for Cambridge than they were previously. They are considered within the context of your school's performance and are by no means the most important aspect of a successful application.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just looking at the facts and figures to say there's quite a low chance to be even given an interview with 3A* and if they were to get more A*'s there'd be a better chance. Also it's graded from 1-9 now and I reckon that Cambridge will be looking for 9 students (higher than an A*).
    That's simply because most applicants have quite a few A*s. However correlation =/= causation.

ReputationRep:

sorry it looks very, very, very unlikely you'd be able to get into Cambridge. there are other good universities out there though

ReputationRep:
    All my A* grades are 9's. I just said A* instead to help with the confusion as a 9 is the higher tier of an A*, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis don’t care about GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    That's simply because most applicants have quite a few A*s. However correlation =/= causation.
    I'm also doing my GCSE's this year, I would also like to go to Cambridge, and I'm predicted to have seven 9's, three 8's and an A*. There will be many people with similar qualifications to me. How can someone with 3A*'s compete.

ReputationRep:
    All my A* grades are 9's. I just said A* instead to help with the confusion as a 9 is the higher tier of an A*, that's all.
    Okay,that's better but it's still very unlikely unless you can show them that you have a true passion for the course.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard at home and ask teachers if you need extra help. They can’t refuse to help you if you don’t understand something. Maybe stay half an hour after school sometimes going through stuff and if there is a teacher you trust, maybe tell them about the mental health stuff. That really helped for me, as I am also really stressing over my GCSEs which are next year. Too early ikr but that’s what anxiety does. 😂
    Use YouTube and if you are on AQA get the Oxford AQA approved student books for science as oppose to CGP as they don’t actually contain all the information you need. Also these are AQA approved.
    Hope you get the grades you want and need x
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm also doing my GCSE's this year, I would also like to go to Cambridge, and I'm predicted to have seven 9's, three 8's and an A*. There will be many people with similar qualifications to me. How can someone with 3A*'s compete.
    As per my earlier link:

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure; and 8 and 9 is considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.'

ReputationRep:
    ^^^Oh and if you work hard and are passionate and have the motivation you can do anything!!!!!!! Cringey I know but I’m heading with that mindset to hopefully study medicine one day

ReputationRep:
    Okay,that's better but it's still very unlikely unless you can show them that you have a true passion for the course.
    I know it's unlikely I just came on here to ask if it was POSSIBLE. I do have a strong passion for the course and I will work hard to overcome my ED whilst getting the best possible grades that I can. I know that I can accomplish that and that's more than most people can say. Thank you for your input but I have to go revise now.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's unlikely I just came on here to ask if it was POSSIBLE. I do have a strong passion for the course and I will work hard to overcome my ED whilst getting the best possible grades that I can. I know that I can accomplish that and that's more than most people can say. Thank you for your input but I have to go revise now.
    Good Luck

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.