Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having amazing GCSEs isn't a requirement, they tend to look at your application as a whole, and so there aren't cutoff scores you need to reach the next "stage" like they have at other universities.

As long as you pass like 5 of them (including English language and Maths) I wouldn't have thought they'd look at them too much (correct me if I'm wrong though I'm not an expert myself lol).

But yes it definitely is possible!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hei guys, would you have any advice for someone looking forward to applying to Cambridge, while studying at another uni (I know I can't transfer)? I must mention that I will not have finished my degree at the moment of applying. I am most interested in what is the relevance of school and university transcripts in the admission process. And if they are criteria for admission, which one of them will be most important for my application. In terms of my countries A levels equivalent exam, I fit the requirements. A*(100%) history, A*(100%) economy, A(96%) Romanian. I must say that right now I study law, in Romania, and wish to apply for a law degree at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a offer to study History at Cambridge.

*There is no minimum A* requirement and some people still get in with 0 A* or just a few A*s at GCSE*.

Personally, I gained 10 A* at GCSE. However, the other person in my year with an offer for History at Cambridge only gained 1 A*. This was not an obstacle at all to him getting an interview as he had a strong personal statement, academic reference and was predicted A*A*A at A Level. Both of us are interested in the subject, we both performed well at interview and in the admissions test, we were able to demonstrate our interest in the subject and that is why we received offers.

Cambridge will not turn you down just because you didn't get any/many A*s at GCSE if you can demonstrate to them that you are very intelligent and interested in your subject and you perform very well at A Level.

Try as hard as you can at GCSE as there is naturally the possibility that if you are competing against someone with a very similar academic profile to yourself that your GCSE grades will be the differentiating factor. Do your best and get the best grades you possibly can and continue a very strong work ethos into Sixth Form and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! It’s great that you’re thinking about applying to Cambridge - I have received an offer to study history there this year and am really excited to have the chance to go! In answer to your question, try your hardest to do well in your GCSEs (even if you decide against applying to Cambridge, a strong set of results can boost your confidence 😊) but if you don’t get amazing results, the dream definitely isn’t over! Cambridge have a holistic admissions process, which means that they look at all the information they have about you - your personal statement, school reference, performance in sixth form exams, performance in admissions assessments and, if invited, interview performance, as well as your GCSEs - so a weakness in one area certainly won’t knock you out, particularly if it was due to extenuating circumstances, such as an ED or other mental health difficulties. At the moment, concentrate on your GCSEs, but as you move into sixth form, focus on wider reading and super-curricular activities (such as an EPQ, academic online course (e.g. on FutureLearn) or essay competitions, to name a few). These will demonstrate how you’ve looked beyond the school syllabus to satiate your passion for whatever subject you decide and it’s that passion that will help you in convincing Cambridge (or any other university) to offer you a place. Good luck and if you want any advice about applying from a successful applicant’s perspective, feel free to PM me 🙂!

ReputationRep:
    It’s not a pipe dream, just apply and see what happens. No one on the student room is gonna know as well as Cambridge university lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a fresher currently. There's certainly no requirement for GCSEs (I got 4A* 6A and 2B which although is pretty good isn't shockingly good). The colleges tend not to care too kycbs out the GCSEs. They're just not that good of an indicator of performance compared to alwvels. Although it always helps to be more on the A-A* side of things. But a levels are where it matters, and whoever said yoynwouldnt even get an interview is talking poop. They interview something like 80% of people which apply.

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned that you have had time off, so maybe filling in an extenuating circumstance form may help you get an interview. I had extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs and had 3 results below an A and was still invited to interview (for History) at Cambridge. Ultimately, what they are looking for are good grades in all public exams, whether those are GCSEs, AS, A level, IB etc. If you continue to excel at school then the chances are that you may get an interview, then the rest is up to you on the day.

I would recommend trying to get the highest GSCE grades possible, as that will be a bonus no matter which uni you apply to, and especially for a course as competitive as law. However, Cambridge do take your general academic performance into account when reading your school reference, your PS, and your entrance test paper.

Really, what I'm saying is try your very best to get the best set of grades you can, but remember that your application requires much more than a set of GCSE grades.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge doesn't require 7 A*s at GCSE or any of this ********, I got pooled with 4.5 A*s and my brother got in without any GCSEs. From my experience what normally happens is if your target A2 grades meet their entry requirements, your PS and references are strong, and you've got a decent background (you'll have a chance to explain extenuating circumstances when you apply which give you a solid academic background) you'll get an interview. Your offer will then be based almost entirely off of this interview.
    However, if you don' get accepted first time round then smash you're A-levels (A*AA-A*A*A*) then take a year out and reapply - my friend did this and got into medicine after being reject from Oxford the first time round.
    Good luck! It's a very difficult Uni to aim for and the application process is intense, don't be disheartened if it doesn't work out but I'm rooting for you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MathsPhysMind)
    Your offer will then be based almost entirely off of this interview.
    Just to be clear, an interview is no more or less important than the rest of the application. Everything, including the interview, is viewed holistically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Just to be clear, an interview is no more or less important than the rest of the application. Everything, including the interview, is viewed holistically
    I stand corrected
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MathsPhysMind)
    I stand corrected
    No worries at all. And please sit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeRStudent)
    Hey! I'm a fresher currently. There's certainly no requirement for GCSEs (I got 4A* 6A and 2B which although is pretty good isn't shockingly good). The colleges tend not to care too kycbs out the GCSEs. They're just not that good of an indicator of performance compared to alwvels. Although it always helps to be more on the A-A* side of things. But a levels are where it matters, and whoever said yoynwouldnt even get an interview is talking poop. They interview something like 80% of people which apply.
    Did you do 4 A Levels?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.