Turn on thread page Beta

How regularly do you service your car? watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I must admit, I am one of those people which only services their car once a year.

How regularly do you service yours, and what car do you have?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    I must admit, I am one of those people which only services their car once a year.

Oil change every 6,000 and a service every 12,000.

ReputationRep:
    Once a year, which is quite normal depending on the manufacturer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)

I service my car once a year.
    Why would you need to service it more than once a year?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Once a year, unless doing very heavy mileage don't think there's any need to do it more often. Have it tied in with my MOT test so service first, and the MOT soon after to make it nice and simple.

Unfortunately, service, MOT, and insurance all get done in same month so a very expensive July for me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Why would you need to service it more than once a year?
    Depends how many miles you do.

ReputationRep:
    Depends more on mileage than time. I think up to 20000 you can go with a major service once a year. Much lower mileages you can alternate minor and major services every year. I'm not convinced of the need for 6 monthly oil changes. And of course you have to do annual MOT and consider advisory matters from this and services.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Depends more on mileage than time. I think up to 20000 you can go with a major service once a year. Much lower mileages you can alternate minor and major services every year. I'm not convinced of the need for 6 monthly oil changes. And of course you have to do annual MOT and consider advisory matters from this and services.
    Clean oil doesn't hurt, especially in a turbo equipped car.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Depends how many miles you do.
    For the amount of miles that a lot of people do, a service once a year is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    I do mine according to manufacturer specs (when my car tells me). BMWs and MINIs do it based on your driving style so everyone's is different on modern ones. Mine gets done at the local MINI dealer who drop me off at work and deliver it to reception or give me a complimentary breakfast at the pub across the road if i'm not working.

I do about 20k a year but the car is broken so frequently and expensively that I'm forever unsure of what has been done when!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.