Turn on thread page Beta

B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018 (Second Reading) watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018, Connor27A Bill to legislate for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment as a penalty for the most serious crimes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 The referendum
    (1) A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should reintroduce capital punishment.

(2) The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is—
    “Should the United Kingdom reintroduce capital punishment?”

2 Extent, commencement, and short title
    (1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.

(3) Appendix 1 comes into force in the event of a 2/3 supermajority “yes” vote in the ensuing referendum, otherwise the result shall be advisory.

(4) This Act may be cited as the Capital Punishment (Referendum) Act 2018

Appendix 1:

(1) From the date of this appendix coming into law, any judge has the discretion to decree a penalty of death by lethal injection, where they deem it appropriate, and only where a sentence of life imprisonment is an option , for crimes of which a defendant has been found guilty by a jury.

(2) Any death sentence issued is subject to a potential veto by the Secretary of State for Justice upon request, upon which the sentence shall be commuted to life imprisonment.

Notes:

This bill legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

I have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement of capital punishment; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though I may be personally opposed to capital punishment, I believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say in whether or not the death penalty should return.

Changes for second reading:

In the light of the numerous calls to make this referendum advisory; I decided to amend the bill so that a 2/3 supermajority in the referendum is required to trigger the appendix, otherwise the result shall be advisory.

ReputationRep:
    I do hope that this is pleasing to the numerous people who asked for an advisory referendum.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Should this referendum pass by just 50%, I will happily work with others to bring forward the result, but this way it means we can have more clarity and parliament can decide on whom this sentence can be placed.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    This seems like a very good compromise on the issue, my thoughts on this have not changed Connor. An Aye here
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I do hope that this is pleasing to the numerous people who asked for an advisory referendum.
    I can indeed vote in favour of this due to the changes that have been made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Abstain
    Could I not persuade my right honourable friend to vote in favour of this. Whether you agree with the death penalty or not, giving TSR a referendum may be a good way of generating support and activity in this place.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Could I not persuade my right honourable friend to vote in favour of this. Whether you agree with the death penalty or not, giving TSR a referendum may be a good way of generating support and activity in this place.
    Personally I'm not in favour of the death penalty but I do feel that a referendum is rather time-consuming. However, given that this now requires a 2/3 majority and may be a good way of generating support and activity in this place, I would consider possibly supporting this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Personally I'm not in favour of the death penalty but I do feel that a referendum is rather time-consuming. However, given that this now requires a 2/3 majority and may be a good way of generating support and activity in this place, I would consider possibly supporting this.
    I thank my honourable friend, and look forward to walking through the lobby together on this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Same criticism as before in that it is an uninteresting topic and doesn't fit the criteria for a referendum, further the super-majority is hardly better than full on advisory

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest Connor27 - what's the reasonings behind this? Why this topic and why now?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wish to see a referendum but making it advisory in any way is not the way to go about it. If that change isn't overturned, I am afraid I will have to abstain. I do not trust our government or this House to follow a referendum; I hold the same belief about politics in real life.

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Kyx and 04MR17......

Abstain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Out of interest Connor27 - what's the reasonings behind this? Why this topic and why now?
    Why this topic? It’s something I’d be interested to see happen in real life, and I also had a failed attempt at this in the 24th Parliament.

Why now? I think the lull in activity and the fact that we are halfway through a term makes the house more amenable to the idea of a referendum, making this more likely to pass.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The new condition for it to become binding is totally arbitrary and just looks like a cop-out.

Nonetheless my views on this (and I don't really expect a Yes vote anyway) are as they were in the first reading – if done properly it's a good opportunity to involve wider TSR in the MHoC and try to close the gap between here and the rest of the site.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    In the words of Kyx and 04MR17......

Abstain!
    I'm supporting this (since I suggested the edition).
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Same criticism as before in that it is an uninteresting topic and doesn't fit the criteria for a referendum, further the super-majority is hardly better than full on advisory
    A more interesting topic has not been suggested.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    A more interesting topic has not been suggested.
    And there is no requirement for a referendum, they are rare things
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And there is no requirement for a referendum, they are rare things
    They are good adverts for the house. If they are so rare, then you can surely propose a more interesting topic.....

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.