Turn on thread page Beta

B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018 (Second Reading) watch

ReputationRep:
    Referenda are unnecessary in British democracy. Parties should look at the polls, then have it in their manifesto. When they win, they can legislate.

ReputationRep:
    A strong aye from me. I would prefer legislating it back into law right away, like Parliament did when they abolished capital punishment, rather than going to the people. However, baby steps.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    They are good adverts for the house. If they are so rare, then you can surely propose a more interesting topic.....
    Lots of things are "good adverts" apart from when they aren't. Especially if there is no mass PM odds of much recruitment are low, odds of recruitment that isn't just a vote in a GE or two even lower, with a lot of effort required. The point of them being rare is that they are a lot of work for no real gain. EU referendum was a genuine current affairs and constitutional matter. I believe there was a monarchy referendum (later ignored for giving the 'wrong' result) which was a genuine constitutional matter, even though barely anybody IRL actually talks about republicanism. This is neither a current RL issue, nor a constitutional matter.

If you want to do something constitutional and even vaguely related to RL you want something like regional devolution
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Why this topic? It’s something I’d be interested to see happen in real life, and I also had a failed attempt at this in the 24th Parliament.

Why now? I think the lull in activity and the fact that we are halfway through a term makes the house more amenable to the idea of a referendum, making this more likely to pass.
    OK - to be honest I'd vote aye if the legalities were left to the government after the fact.

ReputationRep:
    No, the death penalty is a violation of human rights.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mountains8721)
    No, the death penalty is a violation of human rights.
    Not really an excuse to oppose the bill. All the bill demands is a referendum be held on whether the Death Penalty be reintroduced into law, giving weight to public opinion to the matter. We could for all intents and purposes produce legislation after the referendum withdrawing from the ECHR if this proves popular enough.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.