Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed about wages watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 17 and have been working for a small high street clothing store since August 2017. I am currently paid £5.15 per hour and this doesn't go up anymore until I'm 18 to a measly £5.71. I work on Saturdays (9:30 - 18:00) and Sunday (11:00 - 17:00) and get £278 a month for 54 hours of work.Is this average pay for my age group based on the hours etc or is it crap?I attended about 2 Tesco interviews before I was offered my current job however I was never successful.

ReputationRep:
    I work 9 hours a week and get around £200 a month as I work at whsmith and im 17 and I get £4.65. Would love to get £5+ an hour. I think you calculated it wrong as that's not 54 hours per week. It sucks to get such low pay but remember there are some people worse off. Its ridiculous how the store next to whsmith is John Lewis and they get £8+ an hour.

ReputationRep:
    You're actually getting paid more than those on minimum wage, which is currently £4.05 for your age group and increasing to £4.20 in April

When you're 18, the minimum you can get paid will be £5.90 after this April

Retail jobs are unskilled work so don't expect to be paid much more than NMW
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    You're actually getting paid more than those on minimum wage, which is currently £4.05 for your age group and increasing to £4.20 in April

When you're 18, the minimum you can get paid will be £5.90 after this April

Retail jobs are unskilled work so don't expect to be paid much more than NMW
    Exactly.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.