Turn on thread page Beta

Let's Talk Motivation! [SR] watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Motivation: it's that thing that drives everything we do. A little motivation can do big things. Motivation means something different for everybody, but whoever you are and whatever you're doing, we all need some motivation in our lives. Motivation is the driving force behind all we have and do. It's the root of everything.

But let's face it, it's not always so easy to understand or find motivation. In fact sometimes it can be a right pain in the bum. Sometimes we all need a bit of a boost finding our motivation. And you know what? That's okay. Something this important isn't always going to come easy and there's no shame in that. Sometimes with not so easy things it can help to have a think about it and talk to other people to get ideas and support.

On that note, I though it would be nice to have a talk about motivation. Maybe we can help each other understand our motivation a bit more and find the motivation we need for something.
    So what does motivation mean to you? Is there anything that motivates you or that makes it hard for your to stay motivated?

I'd say one thing that can help motivate people is a challenge or goal to bring some context to their efforts. A few achievable goals can really help build your confidence in yourself and show you that you're making progress. I usually find it difficult getting something done it I can't see a reason or of that reason seem out of reach. Sometimes it helps me to break things into smaller goals or give myself something to work towards.
    Are there any goals or challenges you're working towards or have achieved?

Tips, tricks, questions, thoughts, optimistic otters- it's all welcome here. So come one, come all and...
    LET'S TALK MOTIVATION!

"You can do it!" "We believe in you" "omg! You're so good at the thing."

Shameless advertising (for a good cause):
    If you want some motivation to get moving a bit more, why step into the Sport Relief step challenge by joining the TSR league? Every step you take is a step closer to us raising £5K for Sport Relief! Now if that's not a good goal I don't know what is.
    (head over here for more details: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5208790)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Optimistic otters!!!!!!!!! :gah: :love:

For me, motivation is something that feels external to me - something that keeps me afloat during hard times. Something to keep my head just above water Something that makes me say "Imma keep on going" even when I want to give up.

Motivation comes to me in various forms. I get motivation from my faith ( :jebus: ), from my strong friendship circle ( :love: ), from chocolate ( :getmecoat: ), from music ( :headbang: ), and from the conviction that "this too shall pass" ( ). I also find wanting to have an entry per day for my mindfulness blog on here quite motivating

My main goal/challenge atm is trying to jumpstart my PhD. And just getting to the end of term in one piece tbh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Optimistic otters!!!!!!!!! :gah: :love:

For me, motivation is something that feels external to me - something that keeps me afloat during hard times. Something to keep my head just above water Something that makes me say "Imma keep on going" even when I want to give up.

Motivation comes to me in various forms. I get motivation from my faith ( :jebus: ), from my strong friendship circle ( :love: ), from chocolate ( :getmecoat: ), from music ( :headbang: ), and from the conviction that "this too shall pass" ( ). I also find wanting to have an entry per day for my mindfulness blog on here quite motivating

My main goal/challenge atm is trying to jumpstart my PhD. And just getting to the end of term in one piece tbh
    I love the idea of things like mindfulness blogs to help motivate people and remind them of the things they are achieving. Sounds like yours is motivating you. That's awesome!

Good luck with your PhD! That sounds like one of those big somethings where it's easy not to notice the progress you're making- one of my personal motivation molehills.

Spoiler:
    Show
    chocolate is one of the best motivators :ninja:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Right now I'm trying to motivate myself to join in with this step thing and see how I do. One of the challenges I'm facing is that it's an app that isn't available on my phone (windows) so I have to carry my tablet around everywhere to count my steps for me. :doh:

One of my biggest challenges when it comes to motivation is a lack of context. Big things are a challenge for me cos I don't notice the progress I make and it seems way too big to manage. I've improved with that a bit though.
    Where I haven't been terribly well my main want is to improve and generally feel good about where I am and how I'm doing. It's all really slow and steady stuff though so it's easy to forget how far I've come and get into a really negative mind set about everything. Something that helped me is to try to think of a good thing about each day or when I'm feeling down. It helps to give me that context I need and remind me that things aren't all bad.
    I think that and the mindset it helped to create is one of the main things that's motivated me to get this far and motivates me to keep on going cos things could keep getting better.

ReputationRep:
    Check my GRG thread for my methods of motivation
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by queenmeelzx)
    Check my GRG thread for my methods of motivation
    I love your idea of pinning up inspiration for things you want to achieve in the future. Sounds like a good way to remind yourself what you're working towards.
    I would worry about something like that making me a bit overwhelmed tbh. Do you find you need to break stuff down and if so do you have any tricks you use? I guess one of them is your deal with your mum over your grades.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I love the idea of things like mindfulness blogs to help motivate people and remind them of the things they are achieving. Sounds like yours is motivating you. That's awesome!

Good luck with your PhD! That sounds like one of those big somethings where it's easy not to notice the progress you're making- one of my personal motivation molehills.

Spoiler:
    Show

chocolate is one of the best motivators :ninja:
    Thanks! I need all the luck I can get with the PhD, haha. And yes, very easy to feel like no progress is being made :sadnod:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :ahee: :yep: :five:

ReputationRep:
    I have to get up early every weekday and go to work doesn't matter how unmotivated I feel so I do it. I find that if I have other people relying on me it makes it way easier to get stuff done - I don't like to let people down and if I agree on a time I will make that time. Even when I've felt my worst I make sure to make appointments and other commitments. I guess that's just my personality though so probably isn't great "advice". :dontknow:

Motivation does not come easy to me if other people aren't involved. My house is a total mess, especially the kitchen it's probably a health hazard (I keep seeing roaches ). I read about a way of motivating myself to work on my to-do list. It involves assigning points to each activity with more points for harder tasks/less pleasant tasks and when I get to a set number of points I can have a reward. I'm quite competitive so I think this would work well for me because right now that list is LOOOONNNNG.

I do have a rule when it comes to my bed on days when I'm not at work; I have to get up for at least an hour, if everything sucks I will wait out that hour then go back to bed, but not before an hour, I am in control that way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.