Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a student in year 11 and my best and favourite subject is maths. I am consistently getting nines and am doing additional maths. I have also got golds on the uk maths challenges (never an Olympiad though).

However, I was wondering how difficult it is to get into a maths course for a good university. My parents made it seem as if you needed maths ability well above what is require for school to do maths at a good university. I wanted to know if this was true and how hard would it be to get into a maths course at a university like oxbridge.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hugebrain)
    I am a student in year 11 and my best and favourite subject is maths. I am consistently getting nines and am doing additional maths. I have also got golds on the uk maths challenges (never an Olympiad though).

However, I was wondering how difficult it is to get into a maths course for a good university. My parents made it seem as if you needed maths ability well above what is require for school to do maths at a good university. I wanted to know if this was true and how hard would it be to get into a maths course at a university like oxbridge.
    Top grades maths and preferably further Maths plus one other.
    References, application, experience, entrance exams, interview. Very competitive, but nothing to stop you trying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You don't necessarily need maths above the level of A-level, because that would defeat the purpose of going onto the degree in the first place. Having an appreciation of the difference in the fundamental nature of how maths is taught and learned between school and university is important (for your sake if no other) but if they wanted students to know real analysis and linear algebra before starting, they would have transitioned to a French style system ala the CPGEs - which they demonstrably have not done.

The requirements are as above - the main thing for a student coming up to 6th form, would be to seriously consider if not plan to take Further Maths. Also bear in mind there are more excellent (and certainly "good") maths courses in the UK beyond Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial - many of which are less highly subscribed to and thus you may not need to distinguish yourself quite so much for.

In any case, just continue onwards, and revisit this towards the end of year 12, as there's no use working yourself up, deciding you don't meet some arbitrary standard which may or may not be relevant, and then giving up on this plan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 21, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.