Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last week my computer died. My dad (an IT technician) said I need to replace it. Today my laptop died at college. I need both pretty urgently and have been looking at loans with no luck. The kicker here is that in september i get £5000 out a trust fund, but modern day loans aren't like "yeah here's x much pay us 1.5x on this day". I'm also only 20 which rules me out of most loans.

Is there any loan services recommended for bad credit? I desperately need a pc and laptop - more importanly the software on each as I'm studying a very IT focused degree. Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by blackangel1997)
    Last week my computer died. My dad (an IT technician) said I need to replace it. Today my laptop died at college. I need both pretty urgently and have been looking at loans with no luck. The kicker here is that in september i get £5000 out a trust fund, but modern day loans aren't like "yeah here's x much pay us 1.5x on this day". I'm also only 20 which rules me out of most loans.

Is there any loan services recommended for bad credit? I desperately need a pc and laptop - more importanly the software on each as I'm studying a very IT focused degree. Thanks in advance
    why do you need both a laptop and a computer?

The problem with loans for people with bad credit is the interest charged. can your parents help you out at all?

ReputationRep:
    Why £800? You could get something far cheaper second hand just to tide you over for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    The software is the most important part, for a pc to be able to run the software I need on it I would need a budget of about £500-£600. For the laptop, I need it to be able to take notes in lectures, so I need a variety of software (disability relatef), which would require a laptop within a £100-£150 budget. Include delivery, possibly insurance, and it averages about £700-£800 for the models I'm looking at. I would go second hand, but that's what's put me in this position with the pc

ReputationRep:
    The software is the most important part, for a pc to be able to run the software I need on it I would need a budget of about £500-£600. For the laptop, I need it to be able to take notes in lectures, so I need a variety of software (disability relatef), which would require a laptop within a £100-£150 budget. Include delivery, possibly insurance, and it averages about £700-£800 for the models I'm looking at. I would go second hand, but that's what's put me in this position with the pc
    I would say do not take out a loan since you will be considerably worse off due to interest. Can't your family help?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What software is this exactly? There are almost always cheaper alternatives.

Although more importantly, you had a laptop before that broke right? So I assume you also had the software on that laptop if it was required? Why do you need to buy the software again when you already have it? If your old laptop didn't have it then arguably you got by just fine without it right?

ReputationRep:

I've had my PC from 2007

and ran it 24/7 till 2016 ...and it still hasn't died

[although it's gone through about 3 internal power supplies and 4 hard drives]

hard luck on them both dying at the same time though.
    I don't think there's anyplace that can help you tbh other than loan sharks........

maybe see if you can "borrow" some money off your parents?

your dad must have some. Just explain you need it for uni and your studies are suffering and you'll pay him back as soon as you can
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Cant your dad take one out for you?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student do you have an account with an interest free overdraft? Could you ask for the limit to be increased to pay for it?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.