Turn on thread page Beta

How many hours would you recommend studying per day? watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently study for 2 hours per day, but I feel as though it's not helping me very much...I can't remember most of the information that I have studied!

All help and advice is very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgia Brown)
    I currently study for 2 hours per day, but I feel as though it's not helping me very much...I can't remember most of the information that I have studied!

I'm in year 11 I do 3 hours weekdays and 4-5 hours weekends. I think you need to study more especially if you are in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)
    I'm in year 11 I do 3 hours weekdays and 4-5 hours weekends. I think you need to study more especially if you are in year 11.
    I'm sorry but I wouldn't fully agree with this. Doing too much revision won't help. You need to make sure your revision isn't just quantity, but mostly quality.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you very much! I study for 5 hours on a weekend, but I only study for 2 hours on weekdays. Do you have any good tips on how to revise effectively so that most of the information stays in your head?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldfish4343)
    I'm sorry but I wouldn't fully agree with this. Doing too much revision won't help. You need to make sure your revision isn't just quantity, but mostly quality.
    Of course, but (for example) one hour of good revision won't be as good as 3 hours of good revision. If you do both quantity and quality like I (hope) I do then that's the best way.
    But yeah I totally agree quality is much better than quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thank you! I just stress myself out too much and I just really want to get high grades! I really appreciate your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but (for example) one hour of good revision won't be as good as 3 hours of good revision. If you do both quantity and quality like I (hope) I do then that's the best way.
    But yeah I totally agree quality is much better than quantity.
    I agree! Thank you very much for your help and advice, I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you very much! I study for 5 hours on a weekend, but I only study for 2 hours on weekdays. Do you have any good tips on how to revise effectively so that most of the information stays in your head?
    Notes. Write stuff down. Do not type it because it won't help. Write things down on paper and read them out loud. People will think you're crazy talking to yourself but trust me mate it helps.
    I do this, but I don't know anyone else who does, because I think this is a bit over the top, but I stick stuff on my wall. My entire bedroom wall is full of paper with notes written on in board marker. I look at them before I go to sleep.
    Also, for maths and science, have a few pages in your notebook dedicated to equations. Just write all of the equations down and test yourself.
    Do you remember that thing everyone did for junior school spelling "look say cover write check". I know it sounds childish, but it works.

Happy to help. Message me if you need anymore help

ReputationRep:
    I do 3 hours I day. Like another TSRian, I try to do 4-5 hours on weekends, but I usually fail

ReputationRep:
    Notes. Write stuff down. Do not type it because it won't help. Write things down on paper and read them out loud. People will think you're crazy talking to yourself but trust me mate it helps.
    I do this, but I don't know anyone else who does, because I think this is a bit over the top, but I stick stuff on my wall. My entire bedroom wall is full of paper with notes written on in board marker. I look at them before I go to sleep.
    Also, for maths and science, have a few pages in your notebook dedicated to equations. Just write all of the equations down and test yourself.
    Do you remember that thing everyone did for junior school spelling "look say cover write check". I know it sounds childish, but it works.

Typing does help people, like myself. They need to try to find out what works for them.

ReputationRep:
    Typing does help people, like myself. They need to try to find out what works for them.
    Ok that's fair. Sorry.

ReputationRep:

With me I study subjects that I have trouble remembering and I make notes at put them up all over the house and everytime I see one, I read it out loud so it sticks in my head.

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much and I will if I need extra help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    I do 3 hours I day. Like another TSRian, I try to do 4-5 hours on weekends, but I usually fail
    Oh ok, thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterios)
    With me I study subjects that I have trouble remembering and I make notes at put them up all over the house and everytime I see one, I read it out loud so it sticks in my head.
    Thank you, I think I'll try that method if you don't mind!

ReputationRep:

Try creating a revision timetable. It is the most helpful thing in terms of working out how much you need to work and when to be in a good position by May/June.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I think I'll try that method if you don't mind!
    I don't mind
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Rather than how many hours I'd recommend, I'd instead recommend not paying attention to the hours in the slightest. The amount of time you put in only affects your grade when you are studying correctly.

If you are studying 2 hours per day and not getting much out of it because you don't remember the information then simply throwing more hours at the problem doesn't fix it. Instead you should find out why your method of studying isn't working, fix it and then put in as few or as many hours as required.

You could spend 2 hours reading notes and find you remember nothing. Upping that to 3 hours is unlikely to do you any good. On the other hand, spending 10 minutes coming up with a stupid song about your notes means you'll probably remember it for the next 5 years. Doesn't have to be a song of course, find methods that work best for you.

It's very simply a matter of work smarter, not harder. Recommending a number of hours to put in is useless to you as 30 minutes using methods that work for you will be far more valuable than 3 hours using methods that don't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey-G)
    Try creating a revision timetable. It is the most helpful thing in terms of working out how much you need to work and when to be in a good position by May/June.
    Oh ok, I'll try that method and I just hope that it works!
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterios)
    I don't mind
    Great, thanks!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.