Sutton Trust - Should I apply to Cambridge or not ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
thenbhd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I've been looking at applying to the Sutton Trust summer school program but I'm not sure what university I should choose.

In the future I would like to get into Cambridge/Oxford which is why that would be my first choice, but as it is very competitive is it even worth me applying or would I be more likely to get into the program if I chose a different uni ? as i haven't decided which I should apply to (oxford/camb) I want to get a sense of what it's like

I've already done a Physics Masterclass at Cambridge and will be going to a Study Day at Oxford in March

Want to apply for either Maths, Physics or Comp Sci
GCSE grades: Three 9's, 7 A*s and a B
A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thenbhd)
Hi,
I've been looking at applying to the Sutton Trust summer school program but I'm not sure what university I should choose.

In the future I would like to get into Cambridge/Oxford which is why that would be my first choice, but as it is very competitive is it even worth me applying or would I be more likely to get into the program if I chose a different uni ? as i haven't decided which I should apply to (oxford/camb) I want to get a sense of what it's like

I've already done a Physics Masterclass at Cambridge and will be going to a Study Day at Oxford in March

Want to apply for either Maths, Physics or Comp Sci
GCSE grades: Three 9's, 7 A*s and a B
A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
It doesn't matter what university you apply to for Sutton Trust so long you meet the specific criterias that Sutton Trust sets out on their Summer School website. Personally I've applied to Cambridge for Sutton Trust Summer School to do History. Just waiting patiently until they email us whether we have a place or not in May afaik it is. Good luck!
MMHealy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I know I’m too late to help you but I’m hoping to apply to Sutton Trust this year for summer 2019 and I’m wondering the same question- I’d like to apply to Oxbridge for uni but Cambridge’s Sutton Trust is so competitive that I might be better off applying elsewhere. I’m looking at applying for most likely Physics but maybe Maths or Computer Science.
Can I ask what you ended up applying for and whether you were successful? Thanks, I’m really hoping to learn about the process
thenbhd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I ended up applying to Durham for Maths as realistically I was more likely to get in, although I do kinda regret not going for Cambridge. The positives side for applying to Durham was that it was a chance to explore Durham as a place (as I had never seen it before) and learn more about the teaching system etc. The Durham Summer school also did an assessed project in which if you are successful you can receive a reduced offer. Just found out yesterday that I was successful! This means that as long as my UCAS application is satisfactory and I apply to Durham, I'll get an offer of A*AB reduced from A*A*A. This has definitely made me a lot less stressed out that's for sure! (For Physics I did hear the assessed project has a few more stages and they in general had a lot more work to do)

However don't rule out Cambridge because of this - especially if you've never experienced any academic sessions at Cambridge as the summer school is an opportunity to do this. It may be competitive but probably not as much as you're thinking!

Good luck! hope this helps
PODHEC1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you get a reduced offer for any subject you apply for???!??
Lillixo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you only get the reduced offer if the course you are applying for is exactly the same as the subject you did for the summer school?
(Original post by thenbhd)
Hi!

I ended up applying to Durham for Maths as realistically I was more likely to get in, although I do kinda regret not going for Cambridge. The positives side for applying to Durham was that it was a chance to explore Durham as a place (as I had never seen it before) and learn more about the teaching system etc. The Durham Summer school also did an assessed project in which if you are successful you can receive a reduced offer. Just found out yesterday that I was successful! This means that as long as my UCAS application is satisfactory and I apply to Durham, I'll get an offer of A*AB reduced from A*A*A. This has definitely made me a lot less stressed out that's for sure! (For Physics I did hear the assessed project has a few more stages and they in general had a lot more work to do)

However don't rule out Cambridge because of this - especially if you've never experienced any academic sessions at Cambridge as the summer school is an opportunity to do this. It may be competitive but probably not as much as you're thinking!

Good luck! hope this helps
thenbhd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Lillixo)
Do you only get the reduced offer if the course you are applying for is exactly the same as the subject you did for the summer school?
Hey, sorry only just seen this and I'm aware it's probably not useful anymore, but may answer some questions for any other people who stumble across this thread. I got a guaranteed (provided I had a satisfactory UCAS application) reduced offer for the course I did at the Summer School (Maths).

But I did have a friend who did Philosophy during the Summer School but managed to change the reduced offer for Law instead. I think she had to complete the assessed project that the Law students were given or something similar, and have the right A Levels etc. and she was then given the reduced, guaranteed offer for Law. Hope this helps!

I definitely recommend applying to the Sutton Summer School programme though - it gives a great insight to the University teaching style and can help you get a real taste for the University. For me, before doing the Summer School, Durham was the next best thing after Oxbridge for me but after staying there for a week I realised it wasn't really for me! It either solidifies your opinion on a University or helps rule a place out, but it looks great on applications regardless and gives you quite a bit to chat about in personal statements/interviews etc. Also for me the guaranteed offer really put my mind at ease, in knowing that I definitely would get at least one offer, and gave me the confidence to apply to some places with higher offers. Good luck everyone!
SiennaEveKelly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
It doesn't matter what university you apply to for Sutton Trust so long you meet the specific criterias that Sutton Trust sets out on their Summer School website. Personally I've applied to Cambridge for Sutton Trust Summer School to do History. Just waiting patiently until they email us whether we have a place or not in May afaik it is. Good luck!
Hey!
I was thinking about applying for the Cambridge English course with the Sutton Trust Summer School, but how does it work? What is it based on as there are only 20 places??
Thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (632)
48.77%
No (664)
51.23%

Watched Threads