Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why are so many people doing religious studies for GCSE? watch

ReputationRep:
    its kind of wierd seeing that the magority of people say they are athiest. is it compulsary or like all the schoold in england made RE compulsary besides my school

ReputationRep:
    Hahahah because you study rs doesn’t mean you’re not an atheist. Clearly uneducated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In my school we had the choice of RE, ICT or computer science. The teacher put many, many students down for RE as it is a 'revise and exam' type of subject whereas ICT and computer science were/are coursework based. (I hated RE since the beginning but I still ended up getting an A)

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what school you go to.
    Let's say, I go to a public school R.E/ R.S would be an option and if I go to a Catholic or some sort of religious school R.E/R.S would be compulsory.
    Also, R.E/R.S is not only about religion, its also about philosophy and your self conscious and so much more.

i dont know if this kinda answered your question?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Why would being atheist mean that you don't want to study about religion?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My school is not a religious school but there isn't much choice on picking GCSE options and RS GCSE is compulsory for all students even though the majority have no religious beliefs. A lot of them would prefer to pick something else if they could.

ReputationRep:
    RS GCSE isn't just about religion and if you revise well its quite easy to do super well - you just have to learn the key words and the mark scheme and you will get an A*. I also found it really interesting because you do things about the just war theory, euthanasia and abortion.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I didn't have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniewrighttt)
    RS GCSE isn't just about religion and if you revise well its quite easy to do super well - you just have to learn the key words and the mark scheme and you will get an A*. I also found it really interesting because you do things about the just war theory, euthanasia and abortion.
    The new 9-1 GCSE is no longer a soft option requiring mostly general knowledge and what you think but requires you to learn about some actual religion such as what it says in St Marks Gospel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The new 9-1 GCSE is no longer a soft option requiring mostly general knowledge and what you think but requires you to learn about some actual religion such as what it says in St Marks Gospel.
    oh okay - i did RS last year and you did need to know some quotes and have some biblical knowledge. I got an A*, and i'm not saying it was easy, but it was easy to do really well if you just put a bit of work in. i didn't know that its got harder! glad i did mine last year aha

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.