ReputationRep:
    which is better for product design bsc?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by piamiahh)
    which is better for product design bsc?
    Hi piamiahh

Which is better is really down to what you are looking to get out of your course and what you want to do for work when you finish university. What do you want to do at the end of it?

I would suggest looking at the modules and comparing what is going to teach you the skills you will need for the career you want after uni.

I guess you'd also need to take into consideration that you will be living at either university for the next three years, so maybe visit an open day and get a feel for both unis and see which you prefer, you may find you like the course at one, but when you actually get there it just isn't for you.

I hope this helps give you an idea of where you can start searching for some info.

Let me know how you get on, and if you've got any specific questions about NTU or the Product Design course just let me know and I'll find out for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postgraduate study at NTU)
    Hi piamiahh

Which is better is really down to what you are looking to get out of your course and what you want to do for work when you finish university. What do you want to do at the end of it?

I would suggest looking at the modules and comparing what is going to teach you the skills you will need for the career you want after uni.

I guess you'd also need to take into consideration that you will be living at either university for the next three years, so maybe visit an open day and get a feel for both unis and see which you prefer, you may find you like the course at one, but when you actually get there it just isn't for you.

I hope this helps give you an idea of where you can start searching for some info.

Let me know how you get on, and if you've got any specific questions about NTU or the Product Design course just let me know and I'll find out for you!

Ive decided to go with NTU, i think the atmosphere was more welcoming and i like the city so yup, thanks anyways
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ive decided to go with NTU, i think the atmosphere was more welcoming and i like the city so yup, thanks anyways
    Oh fantastic!

If you have any questions about NTU feel free to get in touch and we'll help you out however we can!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postgraduate study at NTU)
    Oh fantastic!

If you have any questions about NTU feel free to get in touch and we'll help you out however we can!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

So how what are the assessments like? Is it 100% coursework or are there exams?
    Does the 1st year count and what's usually the first project you do?
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks
    I've passed your enquiry onto the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment so should hopefully be able to answer these for you soon!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks
    Hi piamiahh

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

To answer your questions:

You’ll be assessed through coursework, which will consist of projects, reports, presentations, essays and a portfolio.

Year One
    Coursework - 100%
    Practical work - 0%

Year Two
    Coursework - 93%
    Practical work - 7%

Year Three
    Optional placement year

Year Four
    Coursework - 85%
    Practical work - 15%

The website also highlights what students will study in year one, highlighting the nature of projects that you will undertake:
    • Design Practice You'll work on four complex projects – including live projects – developing an understanding of how to formulate appropriate solutions to design problems, and considering influences such as applied technology, human factors, quality and reliability.
    • Design studies This module has three key themes: a study of contemporary and historic design debates; an independent project looking at a theme such as the role of the the designer, gender, or consumerism; and a research article – an opportunity for you to reflect on your thoughts about design and your role and philosophy as a designer.

Finally, the first year of studies on this course does count, as the module specification identifies “you need to obtain 260 CPs (120 CPs in each of the years) to obtain the honours degree.

You can read the module specification for further details on the course and teaching structure.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.