Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not to be taken in the wrong way, but how much diversity is there at Cambridge University?

I live in London and I am Indian and I really love how I can celebrate all our festivals like Diwali and Durga Pujas - stuff that I have done every year since I was born.

I was wondering if there's things like Diwali and Navratri celebrated by perhaps societies - like in Birmingham university. Or perhaps Bollywood Dance Shows and singing.

Even if there isn't these particular things, is there a general appreciation of other cultures?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by arighosh)
    Not to be taken in the wrong way, but how much diversity is there at Cambridge University?

I live in London and I am Indian and I really love how I can celebrate all our festivals like Diwali and Durga Pujas - stuff that I have done every year since I was born.

I was wondering if there's things like Diwali and Navratri celebrated by perhaps societies - like in Birmingham university. Or perhaps Bollywood Dance Shows and singing.

Even if there isn't these particular things, is there a general appreciation of other cultures?
    Hello!

I'm going to move this over to the Cambridge subforum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last year I believe they had a public event at the Botanic Gardens for Diwali. I imagine there are numerous college/society events as well, as well as smaller scale public/non-academic events - if Exeter could pull together a fairly well received Diwali event each year I was there I have no reason to believe Cambridge can't

I'm not sure about other events, but I would be very surprised if there was nothing in the city at the least for most major holidays and similar. Within the university, even in the unlikely event there wasn't something going on for other holidays, I'm sure you could find quite a number of others who would be happy to work with you to set up an event yourselves. But there is a reasonable South Asian population in the city generally (outside the university) and I'm sure a fair few within the university. Worst case scenario, London is pretty accessible from Cambridge if you wanted to go home for a weekend or something :s
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

There's enormous diversity in the student and research population, far more than in the general UK population. However, it's still a UK university in a non-metropolitan area, so the wider city perhaps has less diversity. So there will be University clubs for almost everything, but probably not so many town opportunities.

The thing about the University is that things like Diwali won't necessarily be celebrated by every College just like that, but if you ask, and you get involved with helping organise, then almost anything can happen.

As it happens, this week I've had several meetings about celebrating diversity, and Diwali was used as an example. My department is diverse, but probably only 1% would celebrate Diwali. We are just going to make sure that people are aware that we are happy to celebrate diversity, we (ie 'the management') will put on a few examples/ideas of what is possible, and some of the things the University will be celebrating (International Women's Day, International Mental Health Day etc), and we are very happy to support celebrations such as Diwali if someone who knows how to celebrate show us how.

There is bound to be a student society that celebrates it, and if there isn't one in College, you can start one!

ReputationRep:

It’s quite diverse but perhaps not as much as London.
    But there’re many students from south Asian heritage and there’s a few societies hosted by/for them, for example this one.

https://www.facebook.com/cuhcspage/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    It’s quite diverse but perhaps not as much as London.
    But there’re many students from south Asian heritage and there’s a few societies hosted by/for them, for example this one.

https://www.facebook.com/cuhcspage/
    Also their website: http://cuhcs.soc.srcf.net
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Also their website: http://cuhcs.soc.srcf.net
    I love the photo Although the guy on the far right looks like he's trying to strangle himself.

ReputationRep:

Let's just say... last year it was a white Christmas (racially and literally) at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I love the photo Although the guy on the far right looks like he's trying to strangle himself.
    the Ed Sheeran tribute guy ?

:teehee:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Ha. And he's the token white guy!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.