Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what should I do if I have bad GCSE and IB grades, with the hope to study medicine as a graduate (GEM). Currently studying Biomedical Science at Kings (1st Year).

GCSE Grades:

Maths B
    English C
    Economics B
    French C
    ICT C
    Business D
    Science D/E

IB (Certificate):

Economics - Level 2
    Maths - Level 3
    English - Level 3
    ITGS - Level 4
    DT - Level 4

A Levels Foundation Course:

AAB (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)

NOTE: The reason for low scores is due to health problems in high school as I was misdiagnosed with 6-7 mental disorders for four years and was treated for it. This interfered with all aspects of my life with a huge emphasis on studies but in 2017 was finally diagnosed with a Learning Specific Disability and ADHD.

I was looking at four universities for gem: Warwick, Kings, Dundee and Sussex & Brighton Medical School (guaranteed interview for 2:1 Biomed students)

Any advice or suggestions for applying as a Graduate Entry Medicine.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi rajyadav,

Sorry to hear about your struggles!

From what I can see, Warwick and KCL do not take your A-Levels or GCSEs into consideration when judging applicants.

St Andrews/Dundee only want a Chemistry A/B at A-Level, as well as a Maths GCSE grade B.

However, BSMS want GCSE Maths grade B and B in English Language/Literature, as well as AAA at A-Level. Therefore, you might want to reconsider applying to BSMS but you should contact them to explain your circumstances if you can!

Generally speaking, universities do take mitigating circumstances into account. So, if you have official evidence (i.e. from a doctor) of how your health problems affected your ability to perform, you should definitely bring it up! Do double check with the medical schools you're applying to.

As for tips on applying, we have a few useful pages on our website:

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajyadav17)
    I was wondering what should I do if I have bad GCSE and IB grades, with the hope to study medicine as a graduate (GEM). Currently studying Biomedical Science at Kings (1st Year).

GCSE Grades:

Maths B
    English C
    Economics B
    French C
    ICT C
    Business D
    Science D/E

IB (Certificate):

Economics - Level 2
    Maths - Level 3
    English - Level 3
    ITGS - Level 4
    DT - Level 4

NOTE: The reason for low scores is due to health problems in high school as I was misdiagnosed with 6-7 mental disorders for four years and was treated for it. This interfered with all aspects of my life with a huge emphasis on studies but in 2017 was finally diagnosed with a Learning Specific Disability and ADHD.

I was looking at four universities for gem: Warwick, Kings, Dundee and Sussex & Brighton Medical School (guaranteed interview for 2:1 Biomed students)

Some universities don't care at all about your A Levels or GCSEs when you apply for GEM (e.g. Warwick) and some do. TSR has a good guide which tells you each University's GCSE and A Level requirements for GEM linked here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dicine-a-guide . Honestly just concentrate on your degree for now though, and worry about applying to GEM later. However, on second thoughts perhaps start thinking about volunteering or clinical experience, because most GEM courses ask you to have some - google Warwick's requirements because they are fairly specific and worth thinking about in advance. I've just been accepted by Warwick so if you have any more questions about GEM or whatever, then just PM me! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

GCSE Grades:

Maths B
    English C
    Economics B
    French C
    ICT C
    Business D
    Science D/E

IB (Certificate):

Economics - Level 2
    Maths - Level 3
    English - Level 3
    ITGS - Level 4
    DT - Level 4

Hi,

There is a chance I’m wrong but I believe that Brighton and Sussex Medical School only give guaranteed interviews to students at either Brighton or Sussex Universities.
    I’m a third year at Sussex and applied to BSMS through the guaranteed interview scheme. It seemed to be an internal process as I was required submit the form and evidence to my school office who then passed this onto the Medical School admissions team.

I’m sorry that this is disappointing but I know how horrible it is to be mislead.

I’d recommend looking at every Medical School in the UK and be really strict about deciding if you meet their entry requirements. If you have money to fund your tuition fees then consider also looking at A100 undergrad courses.
    Best of luck applying to Medicine!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look into studying to be a Physician’s Associate as a back up?
    It’s a Masters level course lasting two years which is partially funded. At BSMS the first year is theory and second year is about 40wks placement.
    End result is to be an ‘almost doctor’ who has same capabilities (ordering and interpreting tests, diagnosing, treatment plans) but lacks independence as currently PAs can’t prescribe and their decisions have to be checked by a doctor. Usually they are paired with one doctor so over time trust can be built which may give more independence
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMauger96)
    Hi,

There is a chance I’m wrong but I believe that Brighton and Sussex Medical School only give guaranteed interviews to students at either Brighton or Sussex Universities.
    I’m a third year at Sussex and applied to BSMS through the guaranteed interview scheme. It seemed to be an internal process as I was required submit the form and evidence to my school office who then passed this onto the Medical School admissions team.

I’m sorry that this is disappointing but I know how horrible it is to be mislead.

I’d recommend looking at every Medical School in the UK and be really strict about deciding if you meet their entry requirements. If you have money to fund your tuition fees then consider also looking at A100 undergrad courses.
    Best of luck applying to Medicine!
    I called Brighton and Sussex Medical School and they do indeed, give guaranteed intrerview to international students with 2:1 in Biomedical Science from any UK university. They are also not required to take any aptitude test.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look into studying to be a Physician’s Associate as a back up?
    It’s a Masters level course lasting two years which is partially funded. At BSMS the first year is theory and second year is about 40wks placement.
    End result is to be an ‘almost doctor’ who has same capabilities (ordering and interpreting tests, diagnosing, treatment plans) but lacks independence as currently PAs can’t prescribe and their decisions have to be checked by a doctor. Usually they are paired with one doctor so over time trust can be built which may give more independence
    Is BSMS different to MBBS? Can I not become a doctor with BSMS?

ReputationRep:
    I called Brighton and Sussex Medical School and they do indeed, give guaranteed intrerview to international students with 2:1 in Biomedical Science from any UK university. They are also not required to take any aptitude test.
    Is BSMS different to MBBS? Can I not become a doctor with BSMS?
    That's great news about the guaranteed interview!! Best of your luck applying there - it's going to be my firm choice this year

Sorry, BSMS is an abbreviation of Brighton and Sussex Medical School

ReputationRep:
    That's great news about the guaranteed interview!! Best of your luck applying there - it's going to be my firm choice this year

Sorry, BSMS is an abbreviation of Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    I personally would really like to go to KCL for GEM. But BSMS is also a more realistic choice. Do you have any tips or advice for the traditional interview at BSMS. What do they look for?

Do you think if I told them that my interest in medicine started when I was misdiagnosed 6 times and how I spent countless number of hours researching about drugs and misdiagnosis as well as symptoms of several disorders as well as some physical diseases, that might be something original?

Also, from your perspective, do you know what KCL looks for. Because if everyone is applying with a 2:1 or first class with a long term volunteering experience and above 700+ UKCAT, what helps them decide which ones to choose for interview? I know some people whose UKCAT was not high and they still got in? How?

ReputationRep:
    Also, from your perspective, do you know what KCL looks for. Because if everyone is applying with a 2:1 or first class with a long term volunteering experience and above 700+ UKCAT, what helps them decide which ones to choose for interview? I know some people whose UKCAT was not high and they still got in? How?
    KCL is one of the few medical schools (at least for GEM) that actually looks at everything, but what they look at your application and the emphasis they place on different components of the application is very vague. If you have a look through the applicants thread for 2018 entry (and other years too) nobody knows how they are picking people to interview. There were people with a PhD and high UKCAT and great rest of the application who were rejected, whilst others whose application profile may not have been as 'good' were offered an interview.

Needless to say, you'll do yourself a favour if you at least get a very good mark in the UKCAT. The rest is more or less out of your hands with King's (somebody correct me if I'm wrong though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    KCL is one of the few medical schools (at least for GEM) that actually looks at everything, but what they look at your application and the emphasis they place on different components of the application is very vague. If you have a look through the applicants thread for 2018 entry (and other years too) nobody knows how they are picking people to interview. There were people with a PhD and high UKCAT and great rest of the application who were rejected, whilst others whose application profile may not have been as 'good' were offered an interview.

Needless to say, you'll do yourself a favour if you at least get a very good mark in the UKCAT. The rest is more or less out of your hands with King's (somebody correct me if I'm wrong though).
    Can a low UKCAT be made up by a very good Personal Statement. Because I have to go through 3-4 surgeries in the next 2 years so will they take that into consideration? Thus I won't be able to give UKCAT as much attention. Its a serious Urology surgery that takes 2 years in total with 3 surgeries.

ReputationRep:
    Can a low UKCAT be made up by a very good Personal Statement. Because I have to go through 3-4 surgeries in the next 2 years so will they take that into consideration? Thus I won't be able to give UKCAT as much attention. Its a serious Urology surgery that takes 2 years in total with 3 surgeries.
    Pretty sure you can apply for extenuating circumstances with the UKCAT and pass that on to medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would really like to go to KCL for GEM. But BSMS is also a more realistic choice. Do you have any tips or advice for the traditional interview at BSMS. What do they look for?

Do you think if I told them that my interest in medicine started when I was misdiagnosed 6 times and how I spent countless number of hours researching about drugs and misdiagnosis as well as symptoms of several disorders as well as some physical diseases, that might be something original?

This year I had MMIs with BSMS as it's only internationals who still have traditional interviews. This was my third time applying to BSMS and I did have traditional interviews previously however I don't think I can give advice as I got a very low score! I would say that cover the basics - Personal statement, BMAT essay (think of improvements as some unis look at this), NHS, ethics and ethical situations e.g. abortion and euthanasia (the law and the two sides of the arguments), know a bit about Brighton as a med school, its hospital, population (it's got lots of students, LGBT people, homeless).

It shouldn't matter what you tell them as to how your interest in Medicine started but you need to be sure to cover the bases showing you're motivated, understand the challenges of studying Medicine and of the NHS. It would be something more original than most people who are likely to say they've just had a huge interest in science and want to help people. It's good that you've done your own research but be careful as to how you word being misdiagnosed as you don't want to be negative towards doctors and their knowledge (you will have at least one doctor on the interview panel!).

I don't know much about KCL as I have never applied there. However, when I was comparing all university entry requirements to see where was best for me to apply, I think they score the UKCAT and Personal Statement/Grades 50:50 (which was why I never applied as my UKCAT was very low).
    I'd say that it would be good spending time making your personal statement as good as possible to stand out from the crowd and give yourself the best chance possible.
    Most universities won't accept your word about having bad grades due to illness so I'd see if you can get a letter from your GP to support this. Phone universities up to whether you stand a chance in applying and offer to email across the GP's letter along with a written version of your conversation so they can't deny what you've said (make sure you include that you'd like acknowledgement of receipt of the email).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi rajyadav,

From what I can see, Warwick and KCL do not take your A-Levels or GCSEs into consideration when judging applicants.

St Andrews/Dundee only want a Chemistry A/B at A-Level, as well as a Maths GCSE grade B.

However, BSMS want GCSE Maths grade B and B in English Language/Literature, as well as AAA at A-Level. Therefore, you might want to reconsider applying to BSMS but you should contact them to explain your circumstances if you can!

Generally speaking, universities do take mitigating circumstances into account. So, if you have official evidence (i.e. from a doctor) of how your health problems affected your ability to perform, you should definitely bring it up! Do double check with the medical schools you're applying to.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal
    It doesn't say anywhere on the website that you need a A/B for Chemistry tho?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say anywhere on the website that you need a A/B for Chemistry tho?
    https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...-requirements/ here you are!

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about the 5 year Dundee Medicine programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi rajyadav,

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal
    Hey, I know this is the medicine forum but I recently got an offer from KCL for Biomedical Science. I am waiting for QMUL, Warwick and Edinburgh. Which one is the best for Biomed if I would like to pursue Medicine afterwards (closest modules to Medicine)? I do not have any intention to transfer from Biomed to Medicine during my undergraduate degree (very competitive), and neither do I hope to be a Biomedical Scientist. I like the course more at KCL but I heard Warwick is ranked highly in previous years for Biomed. Edinburgh is ranked higher than KCL worldwide. I would want to go a university out of those four whose course is closest to Medicine and will help me in my Medical degree the most. Which one should I choose?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey, I know this is the medicine forum but I recently got an offer from KCL for Biomedical Science. I am waiting for QMUL, Warwick and Edinburgh. Which one is the best for Biomed if I would like to pursue Medicine afterwards (closest modules to Medicine)? I do not have any intention to transfer from Biomed to Medicine during my undergraduate degree (very competitive), and neither do I hope to be a Biomedical Scientist. I like the course more at KCL but I heard Warwick is ranked highly in previous years for Biomed. Edinburgh is ranked higher than KCL worldwide. I would want to go a university out of those four whose course is closest to Medicine and will help me in my Medical degree the most. Which one should I choose?
    Hi there!

As we focus on Medicine I'm afraid we couldn't say for sure but our best suggestion would be to choose the course or university that most appeals to you - many Biomedical Science degrees will be very similar, and we'd predict that medical schools offering Graduate Entry Medicine will not favour one Biomed degree over another!

However, if there are particular medicine courses you're interested in, you could try contacting those universities to check - or have a look at university rankings.

You might also find it useful to check out our Biomedical Science to Medicine page and our Graduate Entry Medicine page.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.