Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I thought it worth raising this post (see below) I received from a SFE adviser about OU student's eligibility for the new part time maintenance loan (PTML). My question was will I be eligible if this is my second degree. However, the reasoning given isn't because it will be my second degree, but because OU students don't qualify for the loans as the mode of learning is distance learning. I have asked for clarification and a set of rules/regs because I am REALLY struggling to find definitive information on the internet (surprise, surprise).

    I have seen so many posts of people applying to study and hoping for these and so much advice going out about them being available this year. But it turns out, from the below evidence that they will not be available for OU students at all.

    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi SuperCat007,

    Based on the information that you have provided the course that you are looking to studying as a 2nd degree is a part time STEM course.
    Therefore you would be eligible for funding from Student Finance for a 2nd degree.
    Part Time Maintenance Loans (PTML) will be available to new students starting new courses from august 2018 onwards on eligible courses.
    Distance Learning courses, which Open University is classed as, are not eligible for PTML. You would however be eligible for tuition fee support.
    Part Time applications for 2018/19 academic year will not be available
    until June. If you wish to contact us nearer to the time for further information.


    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    You might want to ask them about 19/20. See page 10-11 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._response_.pdf
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Not yet, but as I understand it, OU/distance learning students will be able to take out maintenance loans but not until 2019/20. The official SFE advisers on TSR are not that good, I wouldn't take their word as gospel.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.