Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it very likely that I could go to Cambridge or Oxford if I did do badly at GCSEs? Would I really need 9s and 8s in all subjects? What happens if I perform amazingly at sixth form but got 7s and 6s and 8s for GCSEs? Do I have no chance? I would really like to study engineering at Cambridge or Oxford in the future but I am not sure I can get amazing GCSEs. Would I have a sliver of a chance? What could I do to increase my chances?

ReputationRep:
    It's not "very likely" with good GCSEs but you have a chance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    It's not "very likely" with good GCSEs but you have a chance.
    Guess I need to fix up for GCSEs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    What could I do to increase my chances?
    be so good that they can't ignore you. win a nobel peace prize; become a successful inventor; create value...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    be so good that they can't ignore you. win a nobel peace prize; become a successful inventor; create value...
    Successful inventor sounds good...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cambridge doesn't heavily consider GCSE grades, and performance at A-level and in pre-interview assessments will be more important.

You can refer to any of the many statements on the matter made by the official admissions tutors' accounts on here for various colleges, who all indicate at the least that they would not reject a student solely on the basis of GCSEs.

Do as well as possible, and don't take just take the approach that they don't matter so you can chill out before 6th form, but don't obsess over getting 98% or more in ever exam or else you won't even be considered.

The above is not true for Oxford however.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.