The Student Room Group

Higher modern studies dilemma!

Can anyone offer me advice on whether or not I should do modern studies? has anyone taken it, if so is it enjoyable to study?
Original post by srobb705
Can anyone offer me advice on whether or not I should do modern studies? has anyone taken it, if so is it enjoyable to study?

Hi :wavey: :smile:

I haven't taken modern studies myself, so can't offer any advice, but I've moved your thread over to the Scottish qualifications section, so hopefully someone else can help :smile:
Hi :smile: I’m doing Higher Mods this year after doing the Nat 5 and possibly going on to do Advanced Higher Mods next year (still undecided!)

Mods requires essay writing skills so if you don’t like writing essays or analysing sources to make conclusions then you might not like it. It’s an enjoyable course if you’re interested in UK politics, crime and the justice system or international politics. All schools do different units so I’m not sure what your school will offer. My best advice would be to read up on the course your school provides and talk to the teacher who runs the course. If you like English or do Geography or History or similar subjects you will enjoy Modern Studies. If you don’t, you may find it a slog as a lot of people I know do! I personally find it really interesting as I’m into politics and international relations and overall I’d say Mods pupils gain a better understanding of the world after doing the course - it can be a real eye opener to places like the USA! Plus learning about things most people probably don’t know, like how voting systems work is pretty cool. Good luck with choosing your subjects :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Ellie, thanks for your response. Yes, I love writing and English, don't mind writing a few essays or so hahaha. I have taken Higher geography and English, gaining A's in both prelims and hopefully the actual exam.:colondollar: I think I would find it interesting as it is something completely different and can be advantageous to the course which I want to study later on in further education. Thanks very much for the advice, ill take it on board. :smile:

Original post by ellie1964
Hi :smile: I’m doing Higher Mods this year after doing the Nat 5 and possibly going on to do Advanced Higher Mods next year (still undecided!)

Mods requires essay writing skills so if you don’t like writing essays or analysing sources to make conclusions then you might not like it. It’s an enjoyable course if you’re interested in UK politics, crime and the justice system or international politics. All schools do different units so I’m not sure what your school will offer. My best advice would be to read up on the course your school provides and talk to the teacher who runs the course. If you like English or do Geography or History or similar subjects you will enjoy Modern Studies. If you don’t, you may find it a slog as a lot of people I know do! I personally find it really interesting as I’m into politics and international relations and overall I’d say Mods pupils gain a better understanding of the world after doing the course - it can be a real eye opener to places like the USA! Plus learning about things most people probably don’t know, like how voting systems work is pretty cool. Good luck with choosing your subjects :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending