Turn on thread page Beta

can i do weights if i want to lose weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 and wanna lose weight for uni im very fat like seth rogen kinda im able to run and stuff. At the moment ive been going gym for 2 weeks i used to go swimming.

My routine is to cycle there(15/20 mins) and pretty much hav a go on most of the equipment ill do some cardio then to take a break ill do weights then go on a different cardio machine untill im tired and bored and ready to ride home. So i do a lot of cardio i make sure to go on rowing machine (i focus on this and try to beat my time for 2000 meters which i did in 9mins 10 secs 2day) and i use the treadmill most days. Ill go gym nearly every week day so 4/5 times a week

I dont do stuff like "today is leg day" or today im doing cardio or chest or stuff like that i just do everything i dont focus on heavy AF weights cos i wanna get slimmer not bigger but i dont wanna be weak. I dont deadlift or use weights that go on the big bar.

Is this routine ok or should i solely be focusing on cardio then weights once im slim
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just cardio doesn’t burn it as quick as you’d think. A mix of cardio, weights and clean eating will work wonders for you. It’s not a bad idea to do targeted training like arms/legs/core etc
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you're opting to do a cardio routine, make sure you're cocntinuously improving and have some kind of goal in mind. A running or cycling routine may be of benefit too you.

Depending on how fit you are a programme like C25k may be beneficial

ReputationRep:
    Hey , great rowing time btw! In order to lose weight you have to create a calorie deficit. Exercise alone won’t help.

You can download MyFitnessPal and start logging your food, out your weight and height in and it will calculate how many calories you should be eating. Stick to that for a week and try and set in the gym and you’ll see the difference.

Don’t be scared of lifting weights, try deadlifts and stuff like that as they burn more calories, but keep doing your cardio too.

If you have a tape measure, measure yourself and you’ll see that you’ve lost weight. For example I’ve been lifting very heavy and the scale says I’ve only lost a pound however as I measured myself it shows I’ve lost 4 inches off of my hips.

Let me know if you need any more help and well done

ReputationRep:
    When you say you want to lose weight, I assume you mean you want to lose fat? You can lift weights, in fact it's a good idea to lift weights to give your body tone and definition. If you're gaining muscle it might slow down the rate at which the number on the scale drops. This isn't a bad thing- muscle is denser than fat. So whilst you might not be getting lighter, you will be getting leaner and less flabby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toniator23)
    Im 17 and wanna lose weight for uni im very fat like seth rogen kinda im able to run and stuff. At the moment ive been going gym for 2 weeks i used to go swimming.

My routine is to cycle there(15/20 mins) and pretty much hav a go on most of the equipment ill do some cardio then to take a break ill do weights then go on a different cardio machine untill im tired and bored and ready to ride home. So i do a lot of cardio i make sure to go on rowing machine (i focus on this and try to beat my time for 2000 meters which i did in 9mins 10 secs 2day) and i use the treadmill most days. Ill go gym nearly every week day so 4/5 times a week

I dont do stuff like "today is leg day" or today im doing cardio or chest or stuff like that i just do everything i dont focus on heavy AF weights cos i wanna get slimmer not bigger but i dont wanna be weak. I dont deadlift or use weights that go on the big bar.

Is this routine ok or should i solely be focusing on cardio then weights once im slim
    First off dont care what anyone thinks about you, and if u want to lose wait for your self using weights will make you gain muscle so maybe do more cardio like treadmill and the wave machine too!

ReputationRep:
    USE WEIGHTS. It is a popular misconception that only cardio causes weight loss. Exercises like Weighted Squats and Deadlift are perfect for dropping weight and strengthening your core , which in turn will also help in improving your cardio. It has to be a combination of Weights , Cardio and Diet to give you the best results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toniator23)

Diet is more important than working out in terms of losing weight. Of course, I'm not saying don't work out. A really effective diet that still lets you eat some food is the Atkins diet (under 20g of carbohydrates, including sugars a day, your energy comes from eating fats and proteins so your body starts burning fat for energy, which is pretty great if your body has lots of fat).

Of course, money is a problem whenever it comes to eating healthy. Aldi sell cheap fruit and veg. Morrison's sells cheap bread and have protein-rich bread rolls/baps and loafs. Farmfoods and Iceland sell cheap frozen meat and Aldi cheap fresh meat.

Eat eggs, non-processed chicken (if you can, I understand its expensive) and fibre-rich foods. Protein weetabix is a good example, assuming your diet is fine with it.

In terms of working out, do more intensive strength training. Workouts to your 'core'/abdominals. Cardio isn't enough, but it's still a good idea to start workout with that, then move onto intensive strength. If, like most people, you don't have time or don't want to visit the gym daily, work out your legs till they're exhausted, then work out your core till you're exhausted, then work out above your core (arms and pectoral muscles) and then switch back to legs. Repeat till you feel like your entire is body is dead. No pain means very little effect. Give 1-2 days rest and then keep repeating. Focus on abdominal exercise, the exercise to legs and above are also to give your abdominal muscles time to rest till you work them out again.

But most of all, stay motivated dude. I know it's demotivating seeing not much effects after a month or so, but it'll only get easier and easier the more fat you lose.

TL;DR
    You can do weight training to lose weight. Doing a mix of cardio and intensive weight training to your whole body, but especially your lower torso helps burn fat. Cardio alone won't do much.
    If you're willing to make big sacrifices, research the Atkins diet.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.