What benefits are affected by student loans
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ashante 34)
    What benefits are affected by student loans
    Hi Ashante,

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.
    The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:
    • are a single parent
    • have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
    • have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance
    If you have a partner who is not a student and they're eligible for any income related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both. The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG. Part time students can apply for income related benefits if they're on a low income and meet certain conditions. You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from www.gov.uk/benefits-caculators.Here is a link to the page,http://bit.ly/2Cf3fzjThanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I could not get income support as a lone parent with a child under 5, as my student loan made it so I was “earning too much”. I did qualify to CTC.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.