Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ashante 34)
What benefits are affected by student loans
Hi Ashante,

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.
The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:
  • are a single parent
  • have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
  • have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance
If you have a partner who is not a student and they're eligible for any income related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both. The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG. Part time students can apply for income related benefits if they're on a low income and meet certain conditions. You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from www.gov.uk/benefits-caculators.Here is a link to the page,http://bit.ly/2Cf3fzjThanks Rona
ashante 34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you for your reply xx
username1374571
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I could not get income support as a lone parent with a child under 5, as my student loan made it so I was “earning too much”. I did qualify to CTC.
natashav5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
hello can I get help with this. ano I'm 3 years too late but would really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.15%
No (511)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise