Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and KCL/UCL is my dream uni, but I'm not sure if I have the grades to or how competitive the schools are. I'm looking to do a course in either Politics or History. I'm from Sweden and I'm currently doing my A-levels (Psychology, History, English literature) at a state school in London. My GCSE (equivalent) results are:

- English Language: A*
    - English Literature: A*
    - Modern Languages: A
    - History: A*
    - Politics: A*
    - Religious Studies: A*
    - Geography: A*
    - Biology: A
    - Physics: A
    - Chemistry: B (never been good at math/chem)
    - Mathematics: B
    - Technology: A
    - Home Economics: A

I haven't received predicted grades by my teachers yet, but my three latest grades on internal exams/essays are:

English literature: A, A*, A*
    History: A, high B, high B
    Psychology: A* (highest A in the class, 2 marks away from 100%), A* C (I had a really, really bad day.)
    Would these grades potentially be enough to get into KCL/UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Yes as long as you get A*AA, you could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akhi0208)
    Yes as long as you get A*AA, you could.
    Is there a very big difference between A*AA and AAA to these unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelinahx)
    For KCL, yes but for UCL, AAA is fine

ReputationRep:
    Your gcse equivalent grades are fine.

What's the minimum requirement for your course?

That's definitely a difference theyll take into consideration, though as long as your personal statement is good you should be fine. I know someone with an AAB offer from ucl for history.

ReputationRep:
    Wow these are really good grades!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you revise for RE at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Wow these are really good grades!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you revise for RE at GCSE.
    Thank you! I always found Religious Studies to be a really easy subject to be fair and I didn't study much for it haha, but I would say flashcards (this is so useful) and mind maps are the way to go. Also do practice exams, go through the mark schemes and (I can't stress this enough) looking over perfect (as in 100%) essays and mark them yourself to understand what got them that high mark and what techniques they're using in their essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar333)
    Your gcse equivalent grades are fine.

What's the minimum requirement for your course?

That's definitely a difference theyll take into consideration, though as long as your personal statement is good you should be fine. I know someone with an AAB offer from ucl for history.
    History

KCL: AAA
    UCL: A*AA-AAA

Politics

UCL: AAA

That's amazing, though, getting a UCL offer with AAB. Do you know if they care about extracurriculars and stuff like colleges in the US?

ReputationRep:
    History

UCL: A*AA-AAA

Politics

UCL: AAA

That's amazing, though, getting a UCL offer with AAB. Do you know if they care about extracurriculars and stuff like colleges in the US?
    Unfortunately no sorry. I think a strong personal statement is something theyre big on. They both care about an academic personal statement, any extra curricular will ofc be viewed favourably

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much xx. I'm in year 10 right now and I have an RE test tomorrow in Catholic Christianity, that's why I was wondering. I'm currently doing fine. I'm doing the new spec, and I'm a grade 7. I want to be a grade 8 or 9 by the end of the year, so I'll take heed of your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Extracurricular don't really matter in the UK generally. There's no specific part of the application process for extracurriculars, sometimes it's a good thing to put on the personal statement but honestly the top ranking unis care a lot more about books you've read or talks you've been to that are directly related to your subject. I didn't put any on my history personal statement, but I still got offers from Bristol, Leeds and an interview at Oxford (although not a place haha)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.