Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Household income very different from 16/17 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My mother separated from her partner last year, so we now only live on her wage alone. Last year the household income was both her income and his. The maintenance loan I will receive is no reflection on how much the household income is now (under 21k). The maintenance loan won’t leave much to live on, with the accommodation costs as well. Is there any way I can apply for more money, because of the drastic change in household income?

Thank you in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJ1998)
    Hi

My mother separated from her partner last year, so we now only live on her wage alone. Last year the household income was both her income and his. The maintenance loan I will receive is no reflection on how much the household income is now (under 21k). The maintenance loan won’t leave much to live on, with the accommodation costs as well. Is there any way I can apply for more money, because of the drastic change in household income?

Thank you in advance.
    You can ask for a current year assessment if household income has dropped by more than a certain amount. Think its 15% but will leave others on here to confirm it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi

Thank you in advance.
    Hi HJ1998,

When you apply for academic year 2018/19 we will ask for your sponsors to provide their financial information for the 2016-2017 tax year.

If you only provide your mum's details on the application and indicate that her marital status as now separated, then we will only be looking for her to support your application.

As there will have been a change from last year in who is sponsoring the application, you will be asked to provide evidence of your mum's marital status.

Once provided you can be confident that we will assess you on your mum's information only.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. As it’s my first time applying for student finance and they don’t have my information already, does what you’ve said still apply?

Thanks Helena
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. As it’s my first time applying for student finance and they don’t have my information already, does what you’ve said still apply?

Thanks Helena
    Hi Helena,

Sorry for the delay in this reply.

To clarify, we request martial status evidence if there's been a change in your sponsors status or if it's your first year, so we will request that from your mum this year.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    I little different, but I am doing my PGCE starting Sep 18 with my husband's income being assessed for 16/17 to decide on how much childcare grant I will be entitled to....however when he goes to fill in the information, it asks for the household income, including his partner's (which is me)....surely my income won't be taken into account, seen as I will be studying, so my income will not exist this year?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ZoeS1990)
    I little different, but I am doing my PGCE starting Sep 18 with my husband's income being assessed for 16/17 to decide on how much childcare grant I will be entitled to....however when he goes to fill in the information, it asks for the household income, including his partner's (which is me)....surely my income won't be taken into account, seen as I will be studying, so my income will not exist this year?

Hi ZoeS1990,

You can be confident that we only need your husband's financial information to support your application, he may be looking at the section regarding parents' financial details.

We do not need a students' financial information, we do not ask questions about a students' earned income only, unearned income on the application form.

Thanks Rona

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.