Turn on thread page Beta

History - Durham v. Bristol v. KCL? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten offers from all 3 unis - A*AA for Durham and AAA for Bristol and KCL. I've visited all of them and really liked every single one and now I'm so stuck on which one to firm. Durham was my 'out there' choice - I really didn't think I was going to get an offer and was so so so happy when I did, KCL was my original love but after visiting it a few times the magic's worn off slightly (London is slightly less charming the more you go back there haha), and I liked Bristol just as an all-round uni.

Which one of these would be regarded best in terms of prestige/graduate prospects, in general terms and just concerning History? I think I'd be best suited to Durham in terms of living conditions, but I hate the idea of moving so far away, and so I'm really trying to see the best in each uni before I make my decision. Any advice would be appreciated!

EDIT: I'm quite fond of all the unis in term of course material - my biggest concern is living conditions and which uni will give me the best prospects in life

ReputationRep:
    boost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_00)
    boost
    Definitely KCL. Best location and reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostGrad221)
    Definitely KCL. Best location and reputation.
    Not true, history at Durham is often cited, and ranked as better than Oxbridge. OP you sound like you'd prefer Durham if London already feels dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    Not true, history at Durham is often cited, and ranked as better than Oxbridge. OP you sound like you'd prefer Durham if London already feels dull.
    Yes because rankings that change every year and move several spaces randomly are a reliable way of choosing your university.

Oxbridge beats Durham by any marker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostGrad221)
    Yes because rankings that change every year and move several spaces randomly are a reliable way of choosing your university.

Oxbridge beats Durham by any marker.
    While I agree, that wasn't really the point made by GapYaar. They were arguing against your unsupported assertion that King's has a better reputation than Durham and Bristol for History.

Fwiw this year Kings have been using History as an alternative course (ie dumping ground) for applicants who don't get offers for courses such as IR.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    While I agree, that wasn't really the point made by GapYaar. They were arguing against your unsupported assertion that King's has a better reputation than Durham and Bristol for History.

Fwiw this year Kings have been using History as an alternative course (ie dumping ground) for applicants who don't get offers for courses such as IR.
    I had no clue about kings offering history as an alternative course wow, tbh I was quite disappointed with the history department on my open/taster days there, and one of the professors openly said they'd let anyone in who got even 2 grades lower than their offer which I found pretty wild lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_00)
    I had no clue about kings offering history as an alternative course wow, tbh I was quite disappointed with the history department on my open/taster days there, and one of the professors openly said they'd let anyone in who got even 2 grades lower than their offer which I found pretty wild lmao.
    They might be equally as generous as an insurance choice, particularly as they have been in clearing three out of the last four years. It could be different this year, of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DURHAM! It's really prestigious for history and the collegiate system seems really nice. I really regret not applying there...

ReputationRep:
    If the course material is similar , take a look at your cost of living. Living in Durham or Bristol is going to be cheaper than living in London. However, the experience of studying in London will be vastly different than any other city. If I was you , I'd go for Durham on this one

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.