Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a Scottish student but I want to apply to English universities. This is stupid, but does the UCAS point system vary between England and Scotland.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Christy1920)
    I am a Scottish student but I want to apply to English universities. This is stupid, but does the UCAS point system vary between England and Scotland.
    Hiya Christy,

The short answer is - no, they don't vary

UCAS points are a UK wide method of measuring the value of all post-16 qualifications - this means that universities can assess the strength of all applications, regardless of whether applicants have studied A-Levels, Scottish Highers, Welsh Baccalaureates, or any other requisite qualification.

The Complete University Guide has a handy guide here, which explains how many UCAS points you will get for different qualifications/grades.

What are you interested in studying?

Fred - UEA PG Rep

ReputationRep:
    I was interested in fashion journalism but it seems like it’s a limited qualification. I can’t work out what I’d be good at. I know I want to go to university but now I’m worried that I won’t find a job that provides at the end of it. Any suggestions?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Christy1920)
    I was interested in fashion journalism but it seems like it’s a limited qualification. I can’t work out what I’d be good at. I know I want to go to university but now I’m worried that I won’t find a job that provides at the end of it. Any suggestions?
    My main suggestion is that anything you study at university level should be something you have a very strong interest in - this could be fashion journalism, but if you are apprehensive about taking a specific focus at this stage, perhaps you could look into similar degrees with a broader focus, such as journalism, media studies, design & publishing, or other similar disciplines. They may host fashion journalism modules. These are some of the similar options which UEA offers!

Gauging job prospects can be tricky - university league tables provide graduate prospect rankings, but these rankings only tell us part of the story. For instance, they don't account for other factors which can lead to employment - things like relevant work experience, or involvement in a university newspapers/ amateur journalism can also strengthen job applications, for example. So as well as a good course, it could be also worth looking into the work experience opportunities you might be able to obtain from some universities that others might not give you.

Let me know if you have more questions

Fred - UEA PG Rep

ReputationRep:
    Ok many thanks!

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.