The Student Room Group

University strike affecting me

The university strike is affecting my course. My personal tutor has refused to see us for the next two weeks - even though strikes only occur on like 4 days? Some modules have been severely disrupted too - all this for 9250 tuition fee?

I feel like asking for a partial refund - can I complain?
Original post by student 334x
The university strike is affecting my course. My personal tutor has refused to see us for the next two weeks - even though strikes only occur on like 4 days? Some modules have been severely disrupted too - all this for 9250 tuition fee?

You wont be alone. Check with the SU on potential complaints and refunds.
Reply 2
Your tutor cannot usually refuse to see you on days where industrial action is not taking place. For them to do so would usually put them in breach of contract. Go over their head, and speak to your SU.
I hope after brexit, we have a greater % of tutors who speak english as their first language.

I feel like alot of foreign tutors are not actually interested in teaching the subject and just looking to get out of their country and cant get a visa for a private sector job, so just take what ever they can get
Don't be a ****ing scab.
Reply 5
Original post by hannah00
I hope after brexit, we have a greater % of tutors who speak english as their first language.

I feel like alot of foreign tutors are not actually interested in teaching the subject and just looking to get out of their country and cant get a visa for a private sector job, so just take what ever they can get

Totally irrelevant to everything in the post and replies, but you do you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hannah00

Maybe you should apply for the position then
Original post by student 334x

In addition to strike days, lecturers who are members of the UCU are also taking 'action short of a strike', meaning effectively working to their contracts. That includes that they won't reschedule activities like classes etc., but also office hours. Next week the strikes are scheduled for Mon-Thurs and the week after for Mon-Fri, so there is a vanishingly small window for staff to see students: effectively only Friday next week, but a lot of stuff will have piled up by then, and lecturers can't do everything in a single day. Unfortunately such action does impact on students, but contact your uni management to pressure them to negotiate and seek a reasonable agreement. That is the best way to end the strikes and have everyone come back to work.
Dont get why people are asking for refunds when they havent even started repaying back loans and its not like you'll even pay back all of it anyway.
Original post by Shayblog
Maybe you should apply for the position then

Im the consumer, not the producer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending