Turn on thread page Beta

I can't get rid of blackheads on my nose? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong, these blackheads keep coming back the next day or so on my nose. I've purchased a few expensive products recently and they aren't helping much.

I use Bulldog face wash and Cetaphil moisturiser and I apply these products three times a day.

I take a warm shower in the evening every other day after gym session and I then apply Loreal Detox Mask and wash my face with cold water using Bulldog face scrub because I heard cold water helps closes the pores to prevent blackheads but it's not helping me remove blackheads.

So now I've got some cheap nose strips and Peels and Seals blackhead mask which is Number 1 selling on Amazon. I used the cheap nose strips and they stuck to my nose quite hard and were bit of pain to remove but it did actually remove some of the blackheads but not all of them.

I then used the blackhead mask but I don't think it worked well because it came off very easily even after leaving for 30 minutes to fully dry, I was atleast expecting it to stick to my face hard.

Anyways the blackheads that were removed with the nose strips came back on my nose the next day, WTF?

Can anyone give me some advice on what to use please? I'm a 25 year old guy if that helps.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Something that's weirdly helped me is moisturising my nose whenever I moisturise my face. My nose always gets greasy anyway so I figured I'd never bother moisturising it, but little did I know at the time that overly oily skin is often an overcompensation for dryness.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, stop washing your face three times a day. You'll dehydrate your skin, which will cause it to produce more oil, making all the issues worse.

Secondly, stop using the face scrub every other day. Face scrubs are too harsh on the skin and over use does a lot more damage than good. Use it once or twice a week, max.

Cold water does not close the pores. Pores do not open and close, that is an urban myth. If you have large pores, you have large pores, and vice versa. Pores can appear larger if they're full of gunk but for the most part pore size is just hereditary.

Quit using the blackhead masks. Again, they're pretty harsh on your skin.

In terms of getting rid of them, your best bet is probably AHAs and/or BHAs, i.e. chemical exfoliants. You can pick up some really good ones from the ordinary for cheap- I would recommend their 5/10% lactic acids (which is an AHA) and the 2% salicylic acid (a BHA). Start slowly with them (the 5% lactic) whilst your skin builds tolerance and then eventually you can use them every day if you wish (and use the 10% lactic). Moisturise well and use sunscreen every day too.

http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-s...n-30ml?redir=1
    http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-l...t-30ml?redir=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    Firstly, stop washing your face three times a day. You'll dehydrate your skin, which will cause it to produce more oil, making all the issues worse.

Secondly, stop using the face scrub every other day. Face scrubs are too harsh on the skin and over use does a lot more damage than good. Use it once or twice a week, max.

Cold water does not close the pores. Pores do not open and close, that is an urban myth. If you have large pores, you have large pores, and vice versa. Pores can appear larger if they're full of gunk but for the most part pore size is just hereditary.

Quit using the blackhead masks. Again, they're pretty harsh on your skin.

In terms of getting rid of them, your best bet is probably AHAs and/or BHAs, i.e. chemical exfoliants. You can pick up some really good ones from the ordinary for cheap- I would recommend their 5/10% lactic acids (which is an AHA) and the 2% salicylic acid (a BHA). Start slowly with them (the 5% lactic) whilst your skin builds tolerance and then eventually you can use them every day if you wish (and use the 10% lactic). Moisturise well and use sunscreen every day too.

http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-s...n-30ml?redir=1
    http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-l...t-30ml?redir=1
    Cheers I'll look in to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    Cheers I'll look in to it
    let me know if you have any other qs and i'll try and help

ReputationRep:
    Use a light vitamin enriched non-oil based moisturizer on a regular basis.

1. Blackheads are made out of skin oil which has oxidized upon exposure to air (and when it oxidizes, it hardens and darkens, forming the blackhead). And this plug of hardened oxidized skin oil will only grow and worsen if it's not dealt with properly.

2. If you use too many drying products on your skin, although they can clear out the immediate blockage, by drying your skin out so much. they actually worsen the longer term skin oil oxidization issue.

3. So if you use a light moisturizer, it will not only soften the blackheads (allowing them to be cleansed away much easier) but it will also help prevent large noticeable blackheads from occurring in the first place.

Some people's facial "T zone" area's are simply more oily than others ( meaning that you may always battle blackhead issues to a certain extent)- skin types can vary enormously. And you will also find that lifestyle factors (stress levels, diet etc) affect your skins natural oil output a lot. But with a less harsh skin care regime, you can make blackheads considerably more manageable.

Personally I have found "Simple" facial products to be very good; their foaming facial wash is very effective at cleansing away blackheads and their light daily vitamin enriched moisturizer is very good for oil prone skin (serving the purpose of a light moisturizer without making the oiliness of the skin worse).

ReputationRep:
    First of all: are they actually blackheads? Blackheads and small grey-ish dots on your nose are two different things. Blackheads, when emptied, will have white/yellowish puss inside because it is a blockage of sebum, dirt and dead skin cells.
    Sebaceous Filaments are the black dots that when pushed out or pulled out with "blackhead" strips will be long and black and almost hair-like.

To get rid of sebaceous glands, which is what you most likely have, is to properly wash your face. Get a balm or oil cleanser and massage that into your skin before washing it off and using your face wash. What these balm/oil cleansers do is melt the dirt and oil and if you concentrate to massage inwards and against the grain of your skin you will feel grit beneath your fingers which is dirt being pulled out.

Bin the Cetaphil moisturiser. It's a waste of money, has hardly any benefits to the skin and you can find much better moisturisers for the same price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong, these blackheads keep coming back the next day or so on my nose. I've purchased a few expensive products recently and they aren't helping much.....
    I have the same problem. Usually just washing my face every morning/night helps a lot. Also found out that peels and masks are just as useful as putting some white glue on your nose and letting it dry before peeling it off (research for a marketing campaign for blackhead peels and masks).

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem with blackheads on my nose.. it can be covered with makeup but then it just clogs up the pores more.
    Ive heard that pore strips work to remove blackheads immediately, but they make pores bigger-and so in the long term you will get more dirt trapped in them and make blackheads worse

ReputationRep:
    See a dermatologist, and paula choice products are among the best.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.