Turn on thread page Beta

Can you blag your way into university if you just miss the entry requirements? watch

ReputationRep:
    My offer for Cardiff University is BBB - it was ABB, but they sent me a letter saying that If I put them as my firm choice they would drop the offer as I am "strongly suited to the course". I'm a capable student, but I have a lot of anxiety about missing these grades slightly. If I ended up achieving two B's and a C, could I ring the uni on results day and effectively attempt to blag my way in? Has that been done before? Any replies appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's pretty well known for Universities to still accept you if you miss it by one grade, but the unknown is that they've actually already given you a reduced offer. They could well potentially accept you with BBC despite the BBB offer but they may not. There are many factors. All Universities have an absolute minimum entry requirement that they don't publicise but there are other factors that come into it. Did enough potential students get meet the requirements or is the course still not full? They'd rather accept you with BBC than go to clearing I'd imagine unless their absolute minimum is BBB and that's why they offered it you. 15 years ago you'd have probably managed to ring up and get in with BCC nevermind BBC.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I did IB which is a bit different but I got an unconditional to Nottingham a few days ago even though I was below in a subject requirement. I got a 32 (already received results, finished last year) and they wanted a 32-36, which I fit into, but also a 6 in Higher Level English when I only got a 4. I honestly thought I was going to get rejected until they offered me the unconditional. I had also called up before and asked if it was worth applying for and had spoken to a head of a department about the course etc., so that may have also helped me but I'm not exactly sure.

It honestly depends on how many people applied and if they are a higher candidate than you. It never hurts to contact the university as it shows initiative and its better to do that than do nothing and simply wait. Just express your concern now or when you receive your results, its better to known than to hope for the best
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Greyfeather1)
    My offer for Cardiff University is BBB - it was ABB, but they sent me a letter saying that If I put them as my firm choice they would drop the offer as I am "strongly suited to the course". I'm a capable student, but I have a lot of anxiety about missing these grades slightly. If I ended up achieving two B's and a C, could I ring the uni on results day and effectively attempt to blag my way in? Has that been done before? Any replies appreciated
    There isn't much point in calling up the university on results day.

No UCAS rejections are automated. They're done and double checked by humans and when making the final decision, they would have taken into account your PS, grades and how many spaces that have left. If they wanted you as a student despite missing your original offer by two whole grades, they wouldn't have rejected you on results day in the first place. Alternatively, on results day, they might accept you on a slightly different course, e.g. if you applied for Computer Science, they might make you an offer for Applied Software Engineering.

It's completely normal to be worried/anxious about missing your offer.

Spoiler:
    Show

Going to move this over to Applications and UCAS

ReputationRep:
    ...[T]they sent me a letter saying that If I put them as my firm choice they would drop the offer as I am "strongly suited to the course". I'm a capable student...
    Translation of your letter: We're a few short on numbers this year, so let's see if we can entice some of our competent but less confident applicants to firm us...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yes. To exemplify, IKEAPanda37's offer was BBB, but he got BBC, and now, he is studying French and Spanish with Translation at Cardiff. He did not have to talk his way in, as far as I know; he was automatically admitted through UCAS, if I recall correctly. Hopefully, that will be you too if needed! May you get the grades you need :lovehug:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.