Turn on thread page Beta

Should I avoid GCSE heavy medical schools with these grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Medicine next year and I'm not sure how good these grades are...Chem: A*Bio: A*Maths: 8 (A*)English Lit: 7 (A)English Lang: 7 (A)Physics: Band then 1 more A*, 3 As, 2 Bs and 1 CThank you in advance! xx

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be fine, the medical field is extremely competitive and will look at how you are as a person as well as grades - extracurricular stuff is v important too! I wouldn't say avoid them completely...they will all have different requirements of how many As or A*s they want like Cardiff wants 5 A*s at GCSE, you could gamble that and see if they accept you but if it was oxbridge - they would blatantly just reject you because you didn't get the grades for A levels. it's up to you whether you apply to A level dependent or GCSE dependent unis/med schools because as a whole they will just look at everything you've done in total.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think you'll be just fine. Those are pretty good grades at GCSE you should be proud of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpksrk2015)
    I think you'll be fine, the medical field is extremely competitive and will look at how you are as a person as well as grades - extracurricular stuff is v important too! I wouldn't say avoid them completely...they will all have different requirements of how many As or A*s they want like Cardiff wants 5 A*s at GCSE, you could gamble that and see if they accept you but if it was oxbridge - they would blatantly just reject you because you didn't get the grades for A levels. it's up to you whether you apply to A level dependent or GCSE dependent unis/med schools because as a whole they will just look at everything you've done in total.
    Thank you! Extracurricular wise I've had a retail job once a week since August and I volunteer 2 hours at a care home every other week. I can't seem to find a hospital placement as of yet, wdyt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpacalover1)
    No, I think you'll be just fine. Those are pretty good grades at GCSE you should be proud of them.
    Aww thank you! I've just moved to a grammar school so I'm finding it a bit hard when comparing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpksrk2015)
    This year cardiff rejected anyone with below 8A*s

ReputationRep:
    Your gcses are good, but 'gcse heavy' universities are generally classed as those for which you won't get an interview/ offer without a majority of A*s. Off the top of my head, these are Cardiff, Oxford, Birmingham (although good ukcat may be able to balance this), Edinburgh, QUB. You'll need to do research about selection processes (and so will I!)

However, with 4 A*s, yes- you should avoid 'gcse heavy' unis, and look into applying to places which take a more holistic approach or value other things that may be strong in your application (ukcat,personal statement).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashtan)
    I'm applying for Medicine next year and I'm not sure how good these grades are...Chem: A*Bio: A*Maths: 8 (A*)English Lit: 7 (A)English Lang: 7 (A)Physics: Band then 1 more A*, 3 As, 2 Bs and 1 CThank you in advance! xx
    Hi!
    Don’t worry about your GCSEs - they are perfectly fine for lots of unis! I would suggest you look at unis which are more UKCAT and personal statement heavy then GCSE heavy- GCSEs are not the be all and end all! Focus on nailing your UKCAT and getting those predicted grades you need! Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.