Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New medication watch

Okay so I’m new to this but I don’t see anywhere else that I can ask comfortably. Most of my questions I have to ask have already been answered before on this site so I thought I’d try. I’m 16 years old and have suffered with anxiety a lot since 2013-14. Mainly it was because of bullying and stress, but something happened later on (2016-now) that changed the reason for my anxiety. It got a lot worse causing my panic and anxiety attacks, and I couldn’t tell anyone because I had told my head of year what had happened and she dismissed it. Later on I found out this person had done what he had to a few other people and it made me feel sick. But this was different for me because he had threatened to rape me, and he and his friends would chase me around my school corridors and make fun of me. They’d corner me and wait for me after classes and some other stuff. Anyways it doesn’t matter bc no one seemed to care including my teachers and the reports I made to the school about it were also dismissed. However, when I left school I assumed I was through the worst of it because I was starting college, but he started at the same one, not just that, he was also in the same building as me (there are about 8 buildings altogether) and he’s also got the same colour lanyard as me (meaning he’s on my course too just in a different class to me.) I told campus security because they saw me and started laughing- causing me to have a panic attack. So I started therapy there which the college offered, originally I was recommended EMDR- used for PTSD and CBT etc etc. I’ve tried many forms of CBT and Anxiety reducing therapies and stuff but they haven’t worked. I refuse to try EMDR because of the risks. Because of my attempts at therapies a few of the therapists have suggested going to my GP for medication. I did and she said she’s contacted the Mental Health Unit however she did this in December and nothings happened since. I went back earlier this week and another doctor has sent a letter to the MHU for a referral and assessment. I’m worried because both times they’ve asked what’s causing the panic attacks and I want to tell them about the harassment issue but I’m not sure how they’d take it (he hasn’t touched me so basically I’m being stupid and I shouldn’t be this week about it, other people have gone through worse so i can’t actually call myself a victim bc like I said none of them actually did do what they threatened to do to me physically at least). Will they report it to the police? Will they tell my parents? If the college refused to tell them and keep it a secret for me will the doctors do the same? I don’t really know what to do. [sososososo sorry this is so long 😬 didn’t know how much you guys needed to really know]
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They will take it far better than your college have. They're there to get you better, not to judge you.

Just be honest with them, or they can't help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    They will take it far better than your college have. They're there to get you better, not to judge you.

Just be honest with them, or they can't help you.
    Well I did speak to my doctor and she’s saying that she doesn’t want to put me on medication, but I’ve gone through various therapies and my anxiety plays up every time I want to say that I don’t want to undertake more therapy. It doesn’t work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anon2k1)
    Well I did speak to my doctor and she’s saying that she doesn’t want to put me on medication, but I’ve gone through various therapies and my anxiety plays up every time I want to say that I don’t want to undertake more therapy. It doesn’t work
    You've tried therapy. Medication isn't a bad thing. Keep pushing for the meds would be my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    You've tried therapy. Medication isn't a bad thing. Keep pushing for the meds would be my advice.
    She’s very persistent but is she right do you reckon? Like she seems like she knows what she’s talking about but I’m just tired of going through the same things just with different therapists, I just want to try meds at least but me being as weak as I am I can never speak confidently enough and fight her for it :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    She’s very persistent but is she right do you reckon? Like she seems like she knows what she’s talking about but I’m just tired of going through the same things just with different therapists, I just want to try meds at least but me being as weak as I am I can never speak confidently enough and fight her for it :/
    Just say you've tried all the therapies and they're not helping. Medication to help would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Just say you've tried all the therapies and they're not helping. Medication to help would be ideal.
    Okay thank you also thanks for the quick replies, I have an appointment booked for the 20th March I’ll see what happens
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Okay thank you also thanks for the quick replies, I have an appointment booked for the 20th March I’ll see what happens
    Best of luck. My advice would be write down how you are feeling and show it to her. Write down that the therapy doesn't help and you feel medication to assist with the therapy would be a good thing.

I don't know why you doctor is resistant to giving you medication for anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Best of luck. My advice would be write down how you are feeling and show it to her. Write down that the therapy doesn't help and you feel medication to assist with the therapy would be a good thing.

I don't know why you doctor is resistant to giving you medication for anxiety.
    Would it not look weird if I come with a piece of paper with what I want rather than speaking to her? And yeah me neither, she was so quick to give me propranolol for my severe migraines but didn’t want to give any for my anxiety? Even though I went to her with the anxiety problem before I mentioned the migraines 😬

ReputationRep:
    I’m on 100mg sertraline and so is my boyfriend. My mum was worried about me going on it because she thought I’d become a zombie etc. But I am so much stronger now. The tablets of course did not make me who I am now, but they definitely gave me the push I needed. I would 100% recommend sertraline as it is one of the safest forms of antidepressants(it treats depression, anxiety, stress etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbleygum)
    I’m on 100mg sertraline and so is my boyfriend. My mum was worried about me going on it because she thought I’d become a zombie etc. But I am so much stronger now. The tablets of course did not make me who I am now, but they definitely gave me the push I needed. I would 100% recommend sertraline as it is one of the safest forms of antidepressants(it treats depression, anxiety, stress etc).
    Does this medication make you feel drowsy or exhausted at all because the ones I’m currently on make me feel really tired all the time and drowsy, and they haven’t reduced much tbh

ReputationRep:
    The first week of when I went on them I felt spaced out and dizzy, but now I feel nothing maybe speak to them about changing? (But I’m not a doctor so they might not work for you!) but it’s always worth finding out

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn’t see this message,I was at college :/
    The first week of when I went on them I felt spaced out and dizzy, but now I feel nothing maybe speak to them about changing? (But I’m not a doctor so they might not work for you!) but it’s always worth finding out
    Ahhh I really just want to go down the meds route (sounds weird ik but the amount of stress therapy gave me, if I don’t end up with meds I’m either gonna have to hide my emotions from my teachers, or go down the EMDR route and that’s really something I don’t want to do
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Threats are a very valid thing to feel insecure about and you cannot control how that will affect you. Loads of people in the world have anxiety or mental health issues for no reason at all. You are not weak for feeling how you do.

Unfortunately people say nasty things a lot, but that doesn't mean it's okay. If they keep harassing you (waiting for you outside class, threatening you etc IS harassment) don't be afraid to go to your college about it and say it's they don't deal with it you'll get police involved.

As far as your MH and medication situation goes I would book a double appointment with your GP, write down all the things you want to talk about and go through everything then.

Btw at 16 you are seen as an adult in terms of confidentiality etc. Doctor can't tell your parents anything without your permission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Threats are a very valid thing to feel insecure about and you cannot control how that will affect you. Loads of people in the world have anxiety or mental health issues for no reason at all. You are not weak for feeling how you do.

Unfortunately people say nasty things a lot, but that doesn't mean it's okay. If they keep harassing you (waiting for you outside class, threatening you etc IS harassment) don't be afraid to go to your college about it and say it's they don't deal with it you'll get police involved.

As far as your MH and medication situation goes I would book a double appointment with your GP, write down all the things you want to talk about and go through everything then.

Btw at 16 you are seen as an adult in terms of confidentiality etc. Doctor can't tell your parents anything without your permission.
    The thing is, these people, I’ve spoken to my high school before and they made me not speak about it, they covered it up, but at college when campus security found out they did report them and threaten to exclude them if they ever tried anything,I Have to keep checking in with campus security but like the issue is my head now. I feel like I don’t have a right to be upset about it because people actually go through the real thing. They go through so much more and just like everyone says, people have it worse, mine is nothing. I don’t think she’s available for a double appointment on the day I’ve booked her for, but I don’t even know if I’d be able to tell her; I’d end up crying or having a panic attack or something when I have no reason to.
    I’m 16 but I’m worried they will because I’ve had so many people who are higher authority wise than me who have broken that trust I’ve had with them by telling my parents other things; e.g. my parents were told about my first panic attack in high school- reaction was that I was faking it for attention (they said this in front of my headteacher and head of year and tutor)
    My college swore they wouldn’t tell anyone about the panic attacks bc I’m 16 yet still told them
    To me the common denominator is that I’m trusting them-and they’re all betraying me.
    How do I know whether or not the doctor will report what I say? Or if she misinterprets what happened and calls the police instead of my parents?
    I’m so scared to tell her but I feel like if I don’t she’ll refuse to give me the medication.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The thing is, these people, I’ve spoken to my high school before and they made me not speak about it, they covered it up, but at college when campus security found out they did report them and threaten to exclude them if they ever tried anything,I Have to keep checking in with campus security but like the issue is my head now. I feel like I don’t have a right to be upset about it because people actually go through the real thing. They go through so much more and just like everyone says, people have it worse, mine is nothing. I don’t think she’s available for a double appointment on the day I’ve booked her for, but I don’t even know if I’d be able to tell her; I’d end up crying or having a panic attack or something when I have no reason to.
    I’m 16 but I’m worried they will because I’ve had so many people who are higher authority wise than me who have broken that trust I’ve had with them by telling my parents other things; e.g. my parents were told about my first panic attack in high school- reaction was that I was faking it for attention (they said this in front of my headteacher and head of year and tutor)
    My college swore they wouldn’t tell anyone about the panic attacks bc I’m 16 yet still told them
    To me the common denominator is that I’m trusting them-and they’re all betraying me.
    How do I know whether or not the doctor will report what I say? Or if she misinterprets what happened and calls the police instead of my parents?
    I’m so scared to tell her but I feel like if I don’t she’ll refuse to give me the medication.
    People will always have it worse than you somewhere. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to feel bad about a bad thing that happened to you.
    If somebody had their arm crushed in an accident would you tell then to stop whining cos somebody else had both arms crushed? No. So don't do the same with yourself and your feelings. Bad things make you feel bad and sometimes your body take that and runs with it. Mental Health issues aren't completely logical anyway- that's what makes them a mental health issue instead of just having emotions.
    Your doctor CANNOT say anything to your parents. If they do they could be fired. Confidentiality is a big thing in healthcare.
    I very much doubt they will tell the police either. They have to be VERY concerned to do that.

You can just see how things go without going into detail though. If your therapists or whoever have said they think it's a good idea that should be something your GP takes into account.

ReputationRep:
    People will always have it worse than you somewhere. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to feel bad about a bad thing that happened to you.
    If somebody had their arm crushed in an accident would you tell then to stop whining cos somebody else had both arms crushed? No. So don't do the same with yourself and your feelings. Bad things make you feel bad and sometimes your body take that and runs with it. Mental Health issues aren't completely logical anyway- that's what makes them a mental health issue instead of just having emotions.
    Your doctor CANNOT say anything to your parents. If they do they could be fired. Confidentiality is a big thing in healthcare.
    I very much doubt they will tell the police either. They have to be VERY concerned to do that.

You can just see how things go without going into detail though. If your therapists or whoever have said they think it's a good idea that should be something your GP takes into account.
    I guess so. I keep talking myself into it and then backing out bc of the nerves. The medication I’m on for my migraines are menna work as an anti-anxiety too but I only seem to be becoming more and more worried
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I guess so. I keep talking myself into it and then backing out bc of the nerves. The medication I’m on for my migraines are menna work as an anti-anxiety too but I only seem to be becoming more and more worried
    Anxiety is a pretty complex thing so medication is a little touch and go. Medications don't work the same for everybody so you may need to experiment a bit before you find the right fit.
    There's also a lot to be said for a combined approach between medication and properly working through things in therapy. Sounds like you might be a little way away from properly going through stuff in therapy cos you're a bit hesitant about opening up. And it can help to have medication helping with the physical while you work more on the mental, life, and thought pattern stuff.

See how things go. You can always go back and have another talk later.

ReputationRep:
    Anxiety is a pretty complex thing so medication is a little touch and go. Medications don't work the same for everybody so you may need to experiment a bit before you find the right fit.
    There's also a lot to be said for a combined approach between medication and properly working through things in therapy. Sounds like you might be a little way away from properly going through stuff in therapy cos you're a bit hesitant about opening up. And it can help to have medication helping with the physical while you work more on the mental, life, and thought pattern stuff.

See how things go. You can always go back and have another talk later.
    Thank you, for the quick responses and the helpful replies; really appreciate it x

ReputationRep:
    For OP and Anon2k1 .

I can relate so much to what you say and what you feel. I was both mentally and physically abused since year 7 to almost the end of highschool (year 12). The school authorities did absolutely nothing to help, they did speak to the bullies and promise to kick them out of school or talk to their parents about the bullying which only made things worse for me. Talking to my parents made them go and talk to the school or tell the bullies parents which did the same. I was depressed, had anxiety, PTSD, and other minor issues because of that... it took my mother a few years to realize how bad I was (and she is a psychologist, has a doctorate in behavioral child psychology). I was a few months on antidepressants and I must say, it was the best decision. They helped me get to the point of having enough strength to be able to receive a proper therapy and to do something about it.

Now, about ten years later, I am much better, still have episodes of anxiety, but I am brave enough to explain it to people and they treat it with respect.

As for medication, I would not recommend any specific one, it is not my specialty, a drug can be great for one person but harmful for another person. However, I must say a properly fitted one will help you to get enough powers to make the therapy work.
    Talk to your doctor, talk to your therapist, tell everything, they are there to help you. You both seem to be smart and strong enough to benefit from both medication and therapy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.