Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Staying closer to home but high entry requirements... or staying further from home (3hrs+) but lower entry requirements...

What would you choose and why?

If you have personal experiences, please share if you want to.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MKaur18)
    Staying closer to home but high entry requirements... or staying further from home (3hrs+) but lower entry requirements...

Well, I certainly wouldn't be able to pick a university with the somewhat meagre amount of information you've given here.

I'd pick the one with the course content that best matches my interest and one that's located in a city/town I'd actually want to live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Well, I certainly wouldn't be able to pick a university with the somewhat meagre amount of information you've given here.

I'd pick the one with the course content that best matches my interest and one that's located in a city/town I'd actually want to live in.
    Both course content is the same. It’s the same course.. but one has more academic requirements because of it’s ranking in other similar subjects etc.. the towns are good.. but it’s so far from home if i choose the lower entry requirements uni...

If I give away the unis names, people will be more biased and say choose this XXX uni.

ReputationRep:
    Both course content is the same. It’s the same course.. but one has more academic requirements because of it’s ranking in other similar subjects etc.. the towns are good.. but it’s so far from home if i choose the lower entry requirements uni...

If I give away the unis names, people will be more biased and say choose this XXX uni.
    What course is it? (as normally the content is different if if module titles are the same and even if it is similar (like say medicine) the teaching styles can be different)

What are your aspirations career wise? (basically is working in finance a option you would/want to consider as if yes then going to a RG will make your life a lot easier, this applies only to finance and not to other sectors for the most part)

Price of accommodation and living in each place?
    are they different types of uni, ie campus or city style if so which do you want to be on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    What course is it? (as normally the content is different if if module titles are the same and even if it is similar (like say medicine) the teaching styles can be different)

What are your aspirations career wise? (basically is working in finance a option you would/want to consider as if yes then going to a RG will make your life a lot easier, this applies only to finance and not to other sectors for the most part)

Price of accommodation and living in each place?
    are they different types of uni, ie campus or city style if so which do you want to be on
    It’s dental therapy. It’s a rare course, but one that I want to do. I could only apply to about 7 with the grades I have.

Yes some unis are more placement based, some are 50:50, and some are more academic. But I still graduate with the same degree at the end of the 3 years.

Accomodation isn’t much of a problem, and it being a campus or city uni. Cos i’ll be in the same building as my course is specific.

ReputationRep:

Which unis?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If it’s something like Cambridge vs Bolton. Go with Cambridge.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Pick your favourite. The one where you think you will thrive and reach your potential and be happy for 3+ years.

ReputationRep:
    It’s dental therapy. Only about 12 unis do the course. I could only apply to about 7 with the grades I have.

Yes some unis are more placement based, some are 50:50, and some are more academic. But I still graduate with the same degree at the end of the 3 years.

Accomodation isn’t much of a problem, and it being a campus or city uni. Cos i’ll be in the same building as my course is specific.
    Yes you graduate with the same degree but which style do you think you would prefer? as you have a choice, choosing one that you think you will prefer more would make your uni life more enjoyable as the different styles have different advantages and disadvantages which impact you academic and social life in different ways

(this next bit will be dependant on the specific uni) Yes you will have some of your study time in that academic building but not always, you may study in a different place, have lectures in a different place (not all departments at all unis have lectures in their academic building, a lot have them in lecture theatres across the uni campus/buildings) and for some courses at some unis you spend little time in the academic building of your parent school, it depends on the set up of the department you at in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Pick your favourite. The one where you think you will thrive and reach your potential and be happy for 3+ years.
    My favourite has really high requirements, after my AS’ I am a bit worried on whether I can achieve the grades.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My favourite has really high requirements, after my AS’ I am a bit worried on whether I can achieve the grades.
    And have you spoken to him about what happens and what they take into account if you miss your offer conditions ?

High conditions are fine - that’s why you can also pick an insurance you would also be happy with (that preferably guarantee accommodation for insurance applicants).

ReputationRep:
    Yes you graduate with the same degree but which style do you think you would prefer? as you have a choice, choosing one that you think you will prefer more would make your uni life more enjoyable as the different styles have different advantages and disadvantages which impact you academic and social life in different ways

(this next bit will be dependant on the specific uni) Yes you will have some of your study time in that academic building but not always, you may study in a different place, have lectures in a different place (not all departments at all unis have lectures in their academic building, a lot have them in lecture theatres across the uni campus/buildings) and for some courses at some unis you spend little time in the academic building of your parent school, it depends on the set up of the department you at in
    Most of my unis are campus based. I have a choice, but it’s so risky..

ReputationRep:
    Most of my unis are campus based. I have a choice, but it’s so risky..
    Most things in life are risky, but in this case that is why there is a firm and insurance on ucas, pick the one you really want to go to as a firm (assuming that you think its possible for you to get those grades) then the one with the lower entry grades that you are fairly sure you will get regardless as your insurance

ReputationRep:
    Most things in life are risky, but in this case that is why there is a firm and insurance on ucas, pick the one you really want to go to as a firm (assuming that you think its possible for you to get those grades) then the one with the lower entry grades that you are fairly sure you will get regardless as your insurance
    My high requirement is probs gonna be my firm then, and safe option will probs go as the insurance. I just hope it’s wise..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.